• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Engine

Todd

New CEG'er
Well the time has come, my engine is going down hill really bad now. I was told to start looking for a new engine. My question is, how do I go about finding one. I need to keep my car for a few more years, so I need to get a decent engine. So no junk yard engine is what I'm saying. Will the ford focus 2.0 engine work in the 99 contour? I've found alot of places on the net who sell remanufacuted engines, but no nothing about them. I'm just needing some advice and maybe a point in the right direction. Thanks for all your help.

A focus engine would work, provided it is one with VCT. However, the brackets for the accessories may not be the same. Your best bet is to find one from a 98+ ATX contique (Less likely to have been beaten than an MTX) and swap it in. One more warning: Your car is a 99. It may or may not have returnless fuel. Depending on the new engine you find and your own setup, you might have to swap the fuel rail.

Other than that, a black top Zetec (98+) is a black top Zetec, as far as I know. Can anyone verify?

my friend put a 2.0 zetec from a contour 98-00 (not sure where in there though) into his focus (03) he had to use the old brackets off the original engine for the accessories and swap most of the outer hardware (such as sensors and stuff needed to go with computer) pretty much keeping everything on the focus but the head and block assembled (without anything attached.) so I'd imagine if you kept all the hardware possible off the old engine and replaced the block and head it shouldn't be a problem. hope I helped and have a good one.

cougars and ZX2(s) have the VCT so there are your options for engines. If you are getting a complete long block then you will want to look at those. If you are just wanting a short block and rebuild/re-use your head then all zetec blocks are essentially the same. The major difference between VCT cars is the oil pan. Our exhaust flows differently and therefore you will want one specfic for your car.

You can also in most cases have it rebuilt locally.

Couldn't you just have your current engine rebuilt? Then you know the history of the engine, you know all of the accessories will fit and you have some (maybe more) recourse if the engine fails in like a 100 miles...

Unless downtime is an issue, but then again that just takes a bit more planning to get handled.

Get a junk yard engine with as low of miles as you can find. Then clean it up rebuild it if you like and install it. Swapping over things like your fuel rail, sensors, accessories, & etc. That way your computer will think it is the same engine. Don't forget to put on new hoses.

Usually even a JY engine has some limited warranty. I have done this several times. Sometimes I rebuild sometimes I don't. Remember usually the car was running just before it ended up in the bone yard....:laugh:

It is always best to match the engine to the car as closely as possible. Suttle changes can cause BIG problems with the computers...
Just my 2 cents.

Back