• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

This is a CATastrophy

I have 2 of them in my garage I was gonna toss, figure up shipping from zip code 30052 to you and send me a money order for that plus $5.00 and its yours!

Nope but I do have a buddy with a ztec focus and he has a random tech hi flow cat on his, I am sure he has his stocker and it should be the same right?
unfortunately the Focus uses a different flange from the manifold to the cat than the Contour.

It couldnt be cut and welded on at a last resort?
something else that i realized is different is where the exhaust pass through is at. on the contour its on the passenger side, while the focus is down the middle, next to the trans. this means the outlet from the cat is pointed in the wrong direction.

If in your area they actually use the tailpipe sniffer/ emissions dyno, you can always gut your upstream cat and install a universal weld-in cat slightly downstream in the exhaust system. This can even be done downstream of the second 02 sensor, provided you also install a MIL eliminator to keep the MIL light off. The cat will not warm up as fast, but as long as you go for your emissions test with the car nice and hot, your cat should be efficient enough to pass.

More than likely, however, the jurisdiction in which you live has elected to "trust" the OBD2 catalyst efficiency monitor, so only a MIL eliminator will be required. I know where I live in NJ the old tailpipe sniffers are only used on 1995 and earlier vehicles and will soon be phased out altogether.

Not sure why you would want a used cat :shrug:
just because a CAT is used.... doesn't mean it's useless. I have a used CAT on my car, it doesn't seem to hold my N/A car back any ..... it passed its' annual strict UK sniffer test too,
icon10.gif
(headers and main CAT only). G.

If in your area they actually use the tailpipe sniffer/ emissions dyno, you can always gut your upstream cat and install a universal weld-in cat slightly downstream in the exhaust system. This can even be done downstream of the second 02 sensor, provided you also install a MIL eliminator to keep the MIL light off. The cat will not warm up as fast, but as long as you go for your emissions test with the car nice and hot, your cat should be efficient enough to pass.

More than likely, however, the jurisdiction in which you live has elected to "trust" the OBD2 catalyst efficiency monitor, so only a MIL eliminator will be required. I know where I live in NJ the old tailpipe sniffers are only used on 1995 and earlier vehicles and will soon be phased out altogether.
Theres 2 cats? :laugh:

Back