• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trunk rattle

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
I knew I was going to get some rattle in there after installing my sub, but wow it sounds like the whole car is falling apart piece by piece. Are there any strategic parts of the trunk to dampen? The lid seems like a big source of rattling as well as the plastic interior trim when the seats are folded down. I would rather not rip everything out of the trunk and dampen the whole thing. So far the only dynamat is on the doors. I think I will be going with an off brand for the trunk, it seems prices on dynamat have shot up all over.

Some/most of the rear deck rattle can be cured by stuffing 1/2" pipe insulation between the rear glass and the deck. Luckily I have black deck carpet and you hardly notice the pipe foam:

8inchreardeckspeakers010.jpg

i had a good result in my old talon when i faced to subs toward the front of the car, it helped with the rattle quite a bit. otherwise i like to put those little felt adhesives along the trunk lid and stuff.

I wrapped my trunk latch in a thin layer of electrical tape so it was no longer metal on metal contact. Cut down on rattle quite a bit. Also used smaller insulation than fuz. I wedged a fair amount of screen spline in there and no more rattle.

The pipe insulation worked better than I expected but I still have a good amount of rattle.

Back