• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Body On pre-98?

7232640114_large.jpg

newpics004.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

Its been done quite a few times. The rear bumper and sideskirts are a direct swap, but the SVT front bumper will need to be cut and molded into a pre 98 bumper.

What do you mean about the front? is it difficult to DIY?

You take your pre 98 bumper off, cut it in half, lay it on top of the SVT bumper, then cut the SVT wherever the pre 98 meets. so once you are done cutting, the pre 98 and SVT match up...if that makes sense.

After that, thats where the duct tape comes in :laugh:

There was a detailed post by rkneeshaw a while back about the entire process but i can't find it.

You take your pre 98 bumper off, cut it in half, lay it on top of the SVT bumper, then cut the SVT wherever the pre 98 meets. so once you are done cutting, the pre 98 and SVT match up...if that makes sense.

After that, thats where the duct tape comes in :laugh:

There was a detailed post by rkneeshaw a while back about the entire process but i can't find it.

I was kind of afraid of that. do you know what is recommended to mold the two together?

Picture193c.jpg

I would say molding the two is not for the novice. First of all, the SVT bumper is actually a little wider than the pre 98 bumper, so even after you cut the two in half, there is a pretty noticeable gap between the two even after you overlay them, which makes the molding difficult. Secondly, its almost definitely a two man job just to get them aligned perfectly right. Lining up the bodylines is crucial. If not, you'll end up with the "Micah" bodylines.

For the molding, you can use a plastic welder, which I know at least one person has done. Countersunk pop rivets will work too which I was I used. As for the filler, I personally would not use Bondo...at least on the front side of seam of the bumpers. Bondo is very brittle and I guarantee it will crack where its thin. If you want to use it on the backside of the bumper and hog it on for strength, thats fine. For the front, I used 3M flexible filler which is used for flexible plastic so it doesnt crack. Even after I did all this, I still have a professional bodyguy do the final touches on it.

First time you bottom out the bumper in a pothole or actually pull too far into a parking spot and hit the curb, its not really going to matter what you used to mold it...its going to crack.

Beyondloaded summed it up for you nicely. It will crack, like he said, and you have to accept that. Mine is cracked a little by the wheel wells but not around the sides or front.

contest129.jpg

newpics011.jpg

Mine only cracked because I decided to go mudding with it one day stupidly. Bottomed out hard through some road construction on a huge rock, broke my oil pan too just a few days before SZ '05.
DSC01217.jpg

Yah, ryan told me what is happening with his car. Sad really, and too bad I don't need any parts or I would pick up that front bumper atleast.....

The rust monster started to take over the car enough to part it out :shrug: :confused:.....

Yep the 3L hybrid we built is still kicking arse too! It's too bad. I think Ryan's new ride is a little better though. 330i ZHP. Very fun car to drive.
n1538413414_1939049_9215.jpg

Damn, and now he is a troll - must be one of the smart ones moving on to another platform :rolleyes:.....

Back