• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pulse wheel question

turbojimbo

CEG'er
do i use the 2.5 pulse wheel or the 3L pulse wheel. do i put the pulse wheel on the 3L the same way it came off the 2.5, or spin it to the other key way, 05 sable with 3L cams and timing chain with 2.5 timing cover.

the wheels are the same. the some wheels have markings indicating 2.5 or 3.0.... pretty self explanatory.

look at where the CKP is on the 3.0 cover vs the 2.5 cover, from there it should make perfect sense...

Pudmunkie said it best:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Pudmunkie
Keyway facing the gap = no start

Keyway facing away from gap = good

Trust me, I put the 3.0 in with the wheel on wrong.... pulled it back to fix that (among a couple other things)

is this what i should go by?

Yeah, keyway should be OPPOSITE of the missing tooth when using the 2.5L timing cover. Doesn't matter what pulse wheel you use, it just needs to be on correctly.

My '95 pulse wheel looks a little different, but you get the idea. Keyway on the crank shaft is through the pulse wheel. Notice the missing tooth around the outer edge.

3Lbuild062.jpg

Yeah, keyway should be OPPOSITE of the missing tooth when using the 2.5L timing cover. Doesn't matter what pulse wheel you use, it just needs to be on correctly.

My '95 pulse wheel looks a little different, but you get the idea. Keyway on the crank shaft is through the pulse wheel. Notice the missing tooth around the outer edge.

3Lbuild062.jpg

wow that pulse wheel is a lot nicer, is it compatible with any engine? wish I'd picked on up when I had my timing apart last year....

It only has one notch to have the pulse setting for a 2.5L timing cover only. Nicer? I gues so, but what does it matter? It's not going to fail no matter if you have the stamped steel one or if you have a '95 one like mine..... :shrug:

It only has one notch to have the pulse setting for a 2.5L timing cover only. Nicer? I gues so, but what does it matter? It's not going to fail no matter if you have the stamped steel one or if you have a '95 one like mine..... :shrug:

IDK, I just tend to like machined billet parts better than stamped steel. is yours aluminum with ferrous heads, or is it machined steel?

Back