• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Won't start, new starter again?

J3SVT

New CEG'er
My 98 CSVT won't start. I've gotten it to start when jumped, but i'm guessing it may be a coincidence due to the fact that when hooked to the battery charger, the battery appears fully charged. When I turn the key for the ignition, I can hear the starter click. A few times, I've held the ignition key in and have gotten it to start. Doubt it could be a bad connection to the starter due to the clicking I hear from it, and I doubt it could be the alternator, due to a full battery charge, and also because once started, the car stays running. I would have said to replace the starter right away, but the starter was replaced 14 months ago. Do I need to replace the starter once again? Thanks.

Check to make sure you are getting spark. If not, check the wiring to your crank position sensor. It could still be the starter, but since I can't hear the sounds the car is making, I'll start with the basics.

Actually, the more I think about it, it sounds like the ignition switch going out. What noises is it making when you turn it over and it DOES NOT START?

Last edited:
You need to load check the battery. A battery that has marginal or bad cells, can show a full charge from a voltage perspective, but when a high current is in demand the cells cannot produce what is needed.

Start with the basics: Is the engine cranking (i.e., is the starter actually able to spin the engine)?

If you're only getting "clicking", it isn't cranking. Make sure the starter is getting full voltage (check at the starter itself).

Doubt it could be a bad connection to the starter due to the clicking I hear from it
Don't discount this! My 98SVT was doing the exact same thing. Clicking solenoid and all.

It would fail to start, I'd mess around with the battery, removed the starter, etc... and once put back together, it would start. Then a while later, fail to start again. I just happened to notice this time that the positive battery cable was loose where it clamps to the battery post clamp. I took it apart, put it back together, making sure I had a good tight connection and I haven't had any problems since.

My guess is that there was enough of a connection to trip the solenoid but not enough to turn the starter.

Check both the battery post clamps and where the cable attaches to the clamp.

Jeff

Could also have a craptastic AutoZone starter. Went through one in my SHO in 12 mo.'s.

Not Autozone, but O'reilly's. New starter, problem solved. The bolt on the starter for the connections itself appeared to be lose. Crazy guess, but it could be from all the rattling from the poly mounts. They gave me a new starter though because I saved my receipt. Thanks for the help guys.

Back