• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ST220 6 speed swap

HotRodV6

CEG'er
Just been searching and haven't really found anybody that has done this. I'm gonna be swapping in an 04 Taurus 3.0l into my car early part of this next year, and im keeping it auto for the time being but do want to convert it over to a manual down the road, and i wanted to see if anybody has done the ST220 6 speed.

This has been discussed several times. The consensus is that, while this is possible, it is not cost effective. You would first have to source the trans and mounts and get them stateside. In addition it would require modification to the driverside frame rail for it to even fit. On top of that, the 6spd can't handle as much power as a MTX75 with a better diff. If you want better/different ratios you would be better off investing in a gear set and diff from Quaife.

Quaife gearset- http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qke28z

why can't the 6 speed handle as much power. It just seems odd to me that ford would put a weaker trans in a more powerful car?

6 speed manual transmissions are maily made with really close ratios

example: my cougar vs. my cousins '08 civic SI.
driving 75mph on the highway both of our car are at the same exact rpm. but im in 5th gear and he is in 6th. so he has to shift alot more.

also, many times 6 speeds are put in a car that has no torque (just like the civic). the reason is so that the driver is able to keep the rpm's higher while driving, where there is more power.

its definately unnecessary, and not only that, but i would say completly stupid to hook up to a 3.0 liter v6 that has PLENTY of torque to a 6speed. unless the ratios are the same or at least longer which i doubt

EDIT: btw this was written without any research done on that transmission

st220 6speed
1st 3.231
2nd 2.048
3rd 1.423
4th 1.129
5th 1.029
6th 0.886
Reverse 1.360
Final Drive 3.56

MTX 5 speed
1st 3.417