• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Block Heater

Westwildcat

CEG'er
On my 99 SVT I have two cords at the front of the hood and neither of them have continuity on them so whichever one is my block heater, its no good (assuming the 2.5 doesnt have two does it? I dont know why there is two cords). Where is the block heater located on the 2.5 Duratec? Is it accessible from up top or do I get at it from down below?

Also, anyone have any idea what the second cord is for? (Yes I know I will have to trace it and see where it goes just asking....)

Thanks

the engine block heater was an option, and not a common one at that. The unit itself is located on teh front of the motor above the oil filter and A/C compressor. There should only be one cord.

This is a Contour block heater I rescued from a JY engine.
DSC02805.jpg

The cord part number is 94CG-6B018-BA
The heater itself is 94BB-6??51-BB (can't make several characters, thus the ?)

The heater body is 3/4" male tapered pipe thread. 115V, 400W.

I think these were made by Phillips Temro, the cord tag says Made in Canada. I think you can still buy block heater kits from the Ford dealer.

Ok I think I found where it supposed to go... Looks like there never was one installed on the car.... the two cords were just the two ends of the same cord ha.... But yeah so the plug I take out to thread the block heater in, it is like an allen head correct? Want to make sure Im looking in the right spot... Looks like I will have to take the oil filter off to get at it...?

Has anyone ever installed a circulating heater in there car? I cant crack the plug that is in the spot where the block heater goes :( Im sure its been in there since 99 when the car was made and its not wanting to come out. The car came from the US, and I am up in cold canada where I am needing a block heater.... Thinking maybe trying to attach one of those magtnetic heaters permanently somewhere undernieth.... any other suggestions?

Thanks

Thinking maybe trying to attach one of those magtnetic heaters permanently somewhere undernieth.... any other suggestions?

One of those fancy aluminum magnetic heaters??

Almost the entire engine is aluminum... lol

One of those fancy aluminum magnetic heaters??

Almost the entire engine is aluminum... lol

Yes I had to make a custom strap that mounts to the exhaust to hold it to the oil pan.... Going to get a battery blanket as well....

There are adhesive heating pads that could be used. Could stick one to the battery and the oil pan, but I don't know how much the 2.5L really needs it. I lived in Northern Canada for 2 years and never had to plug my Cougar in. Even after spending the night outside and temps hitting -40 on occasion. Ran full synthetics and she'd turn over every time, except when the battery which was quite old finally bit the dust.

Just a quick google search turned up these, but there's many others... Also some out there shaped to wrap around a battery...
http://www.wolverineheater.com/engine-accessory/heating-pad.shtml

Back