• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Video Of Internals

that doesnt really show anything use full. the only way to properly inspect the internals is to open the trans and pull out the shafts.

Haven't watched the video, but if it's already out and you can, why wouldn't you? Do you really want to take the chance of it failing after you've taken it out and put it back in? IMO, it's cheap (and most of all time saving) insurance.

Unfortunately my car is a DD so I haven't had occasion to remove and tear apart my transaxle yet, but a good shop manual and someone who has worked on transaxles before helping you would be my recommendation. My ford master tech uncle once told me that it is easy so long as you have a nice clean area to work on it and keep all the parts you take out in the order that you've taken them out, making it a simple process to simply install in the proper order. I know that when I do mine I'll be using that technique as well as my haynes manual and my cell phone for calls to bug my uncle if anything goes wrong.

Unfortunately my car is a DD so I haven't had occasion to remove and tear apart my transaxle yet, but a good shop manual and someone who has worked on transaxles before helping you would be my recommendation. My ford master tech uncle once told me that it is easy so long as you have a nice clean area to work on it and keep all the parts you take out in the order that you've taken them out, making it a simple process to simply install in the proper order. I know that when I do mine I'll be using that technique as well as my haynes manual and my cell phone for calls to bug my uncle if anything goes wrong.

Well I wouldn't say it's easy as you need to have a few speciality tools to do the job right. If you don't have them... well you might as well just pay someone for the rebuild (~$550) as you will most likely have that into the tools by the time your finished.

Back