• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gas overflows when filling

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
My girlfriend has been telling me that everytime she fills up her SVT, the pump shuts off at the top and then gas overflows from the filler neck. This was the first time I had heard of this with a Contour so I assumed she was doing something wrong (i.e. bad angle on the pump, not dropped down all the way). I was with her yesterday when this happened and I checked everything over.

The pump didn't do the usual problem that people have with it clicking and stopping every few seconds. It filled up perfectly all the way to the top, clicked and stopped but about 1 second after it stopped, gas overflowed from the filler neck and dripped out.

2000 SVT with only 78k miles.

Is there a TSB for this? I know there was for the earlier models stopping while pumping. I don't know if this is related.

Sounds like the tank isn't venting well. I'd crawl underneath, or since it's your girlfriend's car, have HER crawl underneath :laugh: and check the condition of the fuel filler and vent hoses between the filler neck and the tank. The vent hose will be the smaller of the two, and it may be pinched or collapsed. 11 years of exposure to fuel can soften up these hoses and make them crack, leak, or collapse.

Contours have fuel filling problems anyway, usually due to the flapper/anti-spashback valve where the fill hose meets the tank. Usually, they restrict fuel filling speed, I can't have the pump flow on anything but the first, lowest flow setting.

Along with the pump shutting off (clicks) when trying to fill. Occasionally mine does this too. Sometime even when the tank isn't filled. Handle will click and fuel will over flow onto the ground under the car or sometime comes out through the inlet.

To avoid all the issues, I angle the handle to the side, swung clockwise. In addition I take my time filling up and use 1/2-3/4 of the trigger.

Never felt the need to pursue it. You may find your trouble will come and go as the seasons change.

Hope this helps

I have had the same thing happen to my 2k SVT also. Haven't looked into it yet. But I believe it only does it when I have tried to top off after the pump has clicked off. Normally it will take some more gas when doing this but not in this case.

I'll try to check the vent hose when I get some time. The smaller section of vent hose coming off of the tank is only $31 for a Motorcraft replacement. The larger section is only included as part of the filler neck assembly so hopefully that won't need replacing.

Is there some sort of a valve on the vent hose? I should be able to disconnect the hose, inspect or clean a blockage if needed and reconnect without anything spilling from the tank, correct?

I have had the same thing happen to my 2k SVT also. Haven't looked into it yet. But I believe it only does it when I have tried to top off after the pump has clicked off. Normally it will take some more gas when doing this but not in this case.

Same here on my 2000 SVT. When the gas pumps clicks off, that's it. She won't take anymore without spilling.

Your girl friend wouldn't be using one of those permanent gas caps would she?

Similar to this? PermaCap is one of the major brands.
GasCap.jpg

These have been known to cause problems with fuel fillers that don't vent well to begin with.

On filling my own 99 CSVT, I've found that not fully inserting the nozzle will alleviate the premature pump shutoff issues. It seems to be related to the end of the gas fill nozzle and it's airflow sensor in relation to where the car's fuel tank vent line connects to the fuel fill tube. The further out I get the nozzle, the less sensitive the pump shutoff is, but I've never had any fuel splash back, and the pump always shuts off well before the fuel comes up in the filler neck.

IIRC, the Contour/Mystique issues with the flapper valve in the tank filler pipe were related to alcohol content in the fuel swelling the plastic.

No, it's just the original factory cap on there. The shutoff seems to work fine, sorta-ish. It only stopped after filling completely and doesn't give any trouble during the fill. It seems like it was just delayed shutting off by about a second causing the spill.

I took a quick look under the car just now in the dark and I see two hoses. One that runs parallel with the filler neck, and another that runs up top and ends to the right of the filler neck inside the fuel door. Which one is which? I thought of maybe trying something simple like a coat hanger down the hose to check for an obstruction.

On another note, her rear tires are completely bald on the inside edges. :laugh: Good thing the wheels and tires are getting swapped out in another week.

Back