• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3.0 build ..Crank, No start

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
Well i finally have most everything together, all the fluids are in clutch is bled, i put a half can of sea foam and 2 gallons of fresh gas in the tank, Battery is brand new sparkplugs/wires are brand new, gaskets are all new. charged up... and she cranks... and cranks and cranks.... It's a Port matched 3.0
Here is a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHrP_IrMHeU
:help: Help please!

connect everything? loose CKP/CMP wires will cut fuel. you can crank all day long but you won't start. also check the connector on your coil pack. black with violet tracer (not sure if it's black, but I know for sure violet) wire should have 12v at all times.

connect everything? loose CKP/CMP wires will cut fuel. you can crank all day long but you won't start.
No also check the connector on your coil pack. black with violet tracer (not sure if it's black, but I know for sure violet) wire should have 12v at all times.[/QUOTE]
Yes, hose are on snug.. How about the Oil pressure sender? That is NOT hooked up because, LKQ cut my connector too short.. So i have to get a new 2.5 one later... Would that cause it not to fire...

and yes i know the connector for the coil... That's all hooked up.

Sure is, i followed pictures very closely
The pump primes.. So i think it is.. Spark, whats the best way to check?

pull off #1 plug wire, hook up spark tester, ground it to block. have a friend watch for a spark while you crank.

have you given it some gas at all? maybe it's flooded, try clear-flood mode (WOT + crank) and see what that does.

The car is 15mins away from me at the moment, I don't have interweb access where the car is, so just lay any ideas you got on me, and I'll try everything.

spray carb spray in intake and see if it starts to crank over. or pull off one of the two tubes that go into your UIM and spray carb spray directly in there. of course if you hear the pump priming you probably have fuel.

Check the 3 main harnesses on the passenger side of the car. I thought mine were tight, but I actually had to take a pair of adjustable pliars and clamp them down to ensure they were tight. After that, fired right up. Many other people have had this exact same issue.

Is this the car that hadn't run in years and had old gas in it?

Yes, it is.

Check the 3 main harnesses on the passenger side of the car. I thought mine were tight, but I actually had to take a pair of adjustable pliars and clamp them down to ensure they were tight. After that, fired right up. Many other people have had this exact same issue.

Interesting. That def, could be.

Well did you fill up the tank to help to neutralize the older gas and Seafoam it? I would definitely check for spark first though.

Again with the harness', try them first. Many people have a no-start condition because the plugs aren't tight enough. I have zip ties holding the two parts of the plug together. That might do it for you.

I had the same problem on my car and with someone I know. Both came down to those three plugs......

Beans just called me and said the harness was not connected right, he connected it, now it backfires and sputters, any thoughts on this?

Yar, Quite frustrated :mad:

Star summed it up good, i was pressing down on those harness connectors and one clicked! w0oT!
I don't know what the eff is wrong, it is backfiring every now and then, when i crank it, sounds like it almost turns over to start... then goes back to the standard starter turning over. It also is spitting out some NASTY black stuff out the headers, smells like gas but is black as can be.

EDIT: there is Fuel pressure, and I'm pretty damn sure there is spark..

Please help :help: :(

You just did too many nasty things to it at one time. Crank that beast until it gets some nice clean gas running through it. ALSO check your fuel shutoff button by the drivers foot well. Double check your spark plug wire positions :shrug:. Sounds like it wants it :D

Yar, Quite frustrated :mad:

Star summed it up good, i was pressing down on those harness connectors and one clicked! w0oT!
I don't know what the eff is wrong, it is backfiring every now and then, when i crank it, sounds like it almost turns over to start... then goes back to the standard starter turning over. It also is spitting out some NASTY black stuff out the headers, smells like gas but is black as can be.

EDIT: there is Fuel pressure, and I'm pretty damn sure there is spark..

Please help :help: :(

Well if you look at how most people would tackle this.

First plug and wires? Are they gapped? THe wires not crossed at all?
Injectors? Were they on a running car before? Did you get them tested? What injectors are you using?

Well if you look at how most people would tackle this.

First plug and wires? Are they gapped? THe wires not crossed at all?
Injectors? Were they on a running car before? Did you get them tested? What injectors are you using?

Plugs and wires are brand new, Plugs are the app764 Double plat. Wires are Taylor Thundervolt 8.2mm. Spark plugs are not gapped they where .50 when i put them in, i was going to play with them after it started. Just redid all the wires today to make sure they where allset, they are good.

The injectors are SVT 19# Orange... 4-5 of them are from Black 98 SVT because one i had was all jacked up... So i don't know the history on them.

I put 2 more gallons of premium along with the Lucus oil gas treatment crap, and some water remover gas treatment. to no avail

Back