• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tach is acting up, car runs terribly and stalls at random, CEL codes pulled.

dnorf87

New CEG'er
I have a 1995 Contour GL V6 MTX, and i've been having problems with the thing.

The problems began about 3 weeks ago, I had an ignition coil go bad...the car had a pretty bad misfire, i traced it down to the ignition coil, and replaced it. Problem solved...right? Wrong. After 3 days of the car running better than it ever has, I had a day off work, so the car sit for a night and a day. I go to start her up the next morning, and there was 0 power...completely dead battery. A new battery later, it cranks over, but didn't start.

With it being late, and dark, I called it a day. The next day...new battery is dead. Well, today my dad came by and traced a short down to the dome light/clock/radio...Car still didn't start, so he kept on going and I'm not 100% sure what he did, but he eventually found another fuse that was having problems. He got the car running, and was running pretty rough at first, but wasn't too bad as long as he was moving. While he was out, the tach stopped working, the fan started running at 100% as logn as the key is in the on position, and the car randomly stalls..as well as the surging idle/surges of power while staying as level as possible with the gas. I checked the CEL codes. It threw:

158 (O,R,M) MAF sensor is/was high or short to power
226 (O) Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) signal fault
563 (O) High Fan Control (HFC) circuit failure
512 (M) Memory power (PCM pin 1) was interrupted - Was battery disconnected ?

My dad did say something about Fuse 30...which all seem to be related to the codes the thing is throwing.

So my question is: what is my next step?:help:

Nice tantrum; but I've seen better.

Sounds to me like the short(s) you found might have damaged the PCM. This being OBD-I, though, I'm a little out of my element. As is most of the population here as well, since the 95 model year ONLY was an OBD-I car.

Thanks for a response. I went out with a multimeter to see if i could test each individual wire for continuity, and i did find a few buzzes.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/breakfromyou/contour/IMG_0391.jpg

that picture...the connector on the firewall. the last 3 wires on the right side all seem to be either a ground, or a short...any one have any idea what they go to? I have a manual here, but the wires are pretty dirty, and when i try to clean them, the plastic flakes off.

I know i need a new wiring harness. I just want to see if i can get a temporary fix going on so i can at least get to work.

Thanks for a response. I went out with a multimeter to see if i could test each individual wire for continuity, and i did find a few buzzes.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/breakfromyou/contour/IMG_0391.jpg

that picture...the connector on the firewall. the last 3 wires on the right side all seem to be either a ground, or a short...any one have any idea what they go to? I have a manual here, but the wires are pretty dirty, and when i try to clean them, the plastic flakes off.

I know i need a new wiring harness. I just want to see if i can get a temporary fix going on so i can at least get to work.

Well... there is your problem.

You can pick up some liquid electric tape and coat the wires and that will take care of your shorts. That will solve your problems for now, and will last a long time.

I was in home depot yesterday, looking at the different bottles of liquid electrical tape, and the sales associate told me not to use it, because its flammable and will catch my car on fire...so I bought the original black stuff.

Any idea what that connector goes to? I remember seeing a .pdf here somewhere with all kinds of electrical diagrams, and I can't seem to find it right now. I want to see if it really is a short, and exactly what is shorting out...

Trying to find the pinout of that 12 pin connector in the Haynes manual, but it tries to cover too much. I don't see it so far.

the liquid stuff is just fine. My mil eliminators are coated with it. I use it in a lot of places.

Home Depot sales associate that probably makes $8 an hour and his training consisted of someone saying keep this area clean.... He is probably not exactly an expert.

Cant tell you much about that connector, I don't know a lot about the 95s. I just plain don't remember. Sorry, hopefully someone else can enlighten you further.

Does your 98 have the connector? Right next to the power steering reservoir...

I guess i'm just too used to where I work...where most people actually have an idea on what they're selling.

Thanks FunInNorthDakota

Back