• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Splicing a New Piece of Brake Line into a Rusted Rear Line

Researching the compression type union I see that they are not very highly thought of, altho the guy at the parts store said these steel ones operate at much higher PSI. I don't know what to think. But I do blame Ford for building a car so that the brake lines cannot be easily replaced in sections like they could have done in a very simple manner.

Don't do it

Don't do it

Although a compression fitting MIGHT work, don't chance it. You have the flare tool so just go for it. Your family and your fellow road travellers will appreciate it.

Hey everyone! So my rear brake lines will also be in need of replacement. I read through pretty much every post in this thread, and did some searching online, but I'm not seeing anything about what to use as a union to join 2 flared ends together. Also, were do I get the fittings to use on the ends? Are they NPT fittings? If so, do I just use an NPT coupler to join to mail fittings? Thanks!

Brake lines are not NPT and there are a couple different factors. There are 2 threads, metric and standard, and two flares, inverted flare and bubble flare. Take the ends off what you need to replace and figure out which you have, preferably bring them with you to an auto parts store and they'll sell you lengths of line with those flares and ends on them or adapters for them, which you then bend yourself. A brake line union is listed as exactly that, for instance a 3/16" line with standard thread (3/8-24) and an inverted thread would take a corresponding union, I believe the part number we use at advance for that union specifically is BLU-1C.

Thanks for the great info Dan! I'll tackle this project within the next few months after I get some other issues with the car resolved, but now I know what I need :)

The key thing in making a good double flare or even a bubble flare is to de-burr the end of the cut tubing. Even a tubing cutter will leave an uneven end. Use a fine tooth file to file the end of the tube square and flat. Use a drill bit of the correct size to clean out the inside of the tube. Chamfer the outside of the tubing as well. This helps the forming of the "bubble", the first step in making a brake flare. Taking your time to do this prep right will lead to less problems when you make the flare.

Of course getting better tools will get you better results. http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html
This tool will make a factory look flare and do it in a matter of a minute or so, once the tube is prepped. Of course it's not cheap but what "good" tool is?

Jim thanks so much for the great info. Going to start searching around for a nice used tool set since I don't plan on making a hobby out of this haha. I will definitely use all of your advice when the time comes :)

Don't forget stores like autozone and advanced auto have the loaner tool sets and should have a brake flare tool. I've done them on my old car and spliced under the rear seat floor with flares and flare union fittings.

Denny thanks a bunch for that info. I was wondering if Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts carried a flaring tool as a loaner. I'll definitely look into this before I purchase one.

Back