• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

did the computer just give up?

jamesmason

CEG'er
I have had my 97 2.0l Zetec since 2000, when I bought the car the check engine light was on but I really didn't care since I got it for a really good price. the codes called out the O2 sensors and/or the cat., so I swapped both of the sensors and got a new cat. then I got the codes reset. well the check engine light came on again about a month later (this was back in 2000/2001 timeframe.) I got a little PO'd on the whole situation. since it didn't seem to adversely affect the performance and I plained on doing so machining to the head and block that would probably doom the CEL to be permanantly on. I just let it be. Well about a month ago many years after the machining and engine work had been done the CEL mysteriously went off and has not come back on. Now to further clairify the light does come on when turning the car on but goes off after the car has turned over. and the computer isn't spitting codes out anymore. somehow I feel like I've stuck it to the man. tell me what you think.:laugh:

I think you got lucky. I've only had my CEL come on once. (knocks on wood) It was when I "oopsed" with the conversion from quarts to liters on an oil change and put too much in. Took some out and it went away.

I do have my airbag light flashing, but I am not worried about that.

I do have my airbag light flashing, but I am not worried about that.

Mine just did that monday, 53 was the code, but I believe its the battery cause its not flashing any more.

About a year ago, my cel would come on and off every so often while I was driving. I figured out it had something to do with powersteering, like a loose wire or something, fixed it just in case but I rode with that cel for months without any problems.

I say, if the car still runs fine with the cel with no new noises or issues, ignore it til your next oil change.

When my big fuse between the alt and the battery went the airbag light started to flash whenever the engine would rev over 3500 rpm. I was freaking out thinking the airbag was gonna go off or something. kind of sucked.

jamesmason

... I just let it be. Well about a month ago many years after the machining and engine work had been done the CEL mysteriously went off and has not come back on. Now to further clairify the light does come on when turning the car on but goes off after the car has turned over. and the computer isn't spitting codes out anymore. somehow I feel like I've stuck it to the man. tell me what you think.:laugh:
I think your Fuse 11 (Keep Alive Memory Fuse) in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery is broken. Change it and see if it makes a difference.

I thought the same thing and checked the fuse blocks both in the engine bay and the one under the dash and all the fuses are okay. could this be a bad sign or should I shrug it off as a positive fluke.

oh ya, the computer still does perform the function it's just the codes have reset and now it doesn't come up with the codes for that like it used to.

oh ya, the computer still does perform the function it's just the codes have reset and now it doesn't come up with the codes for that like it used to.
Does it "feel" like it is running "cold" (and rich) all the time? If it is, the PCM is resetting after every shut down and I would check the PCM (4) or Ignition (11) fuses or its holders in the fuse box (or the wires under the fuse box).

also the computer will turn off the check engine light if it doesnt see the fault for something like 40 consecutive starts. the number may be higher, im not sure exactly on our cars.

Maybe that's it, because I just looked at the fuses tony2005 said to check and the wires with a dmm and a tdr to see if there was a break somewhere in the cables and nothing. everything seems normal. Weird, I guess the computer must have stopped caring.lol

Back