• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to buy OEM parts for my Contour...

iskoos

CEG'er
Hi,

I was adviced to change my EGR valve. The guy recommended that I should seek an OEM part rather than a aftermarket stuff sold on Autozone/Autoparts stores.
I checked with the Ford dealer and the original EGR valve is $193.00
At Autozone, it is about $80.00

I really do not want to try junk yard route as I want to make sure the part is in good working order. So is there another place where I can buy OEM quality EGR valve at cheaper than what the dealer is asking?
Where do you guys buy your stuff online?

My car is 1995 Contour GL Zetec 4cyl. Automatic

Thanks

I'd have no issues running a Wells brand part (probably what autozone will sell you). Your other option for a cheaper factory part will be a used but good salvage part.

better question is who and why told you to change the egr valve? they are not a common item that fails ...

better question is who and why told you to change the egr valve? they are not a common item that fails ...

This guy is a mechanic and while checking my engine for a vacuum leak with brake cleaner, he sprayed some right on EGR valve and the engine rpm went up. He did it several times and everytimes, the engine RPM was going up everytime.

He said that the valve is not seating properly and leaking and that it should be closed at idle.

That's correct and I know this and I checked the EGR valve for leaks by blocking it between the valve and intake to see if there was a leak and I found none.
However he insisted that engine sound shouldn't and valve shouldn't suck anything in while the engine is idling.

So he recommended that I should replace it.

Can anyone at least confirm this for me?
I sprayed brake fluid on the valve in my garage and rpm increased.
Is this normal?

I am really not upto getting all this trouble if not necessary. But if something is wrong I will go ahead and replace it.

And would you trust the aftermarket part from autozone? The difference is over 100 bucks...

Thanks

not possitive about the zetec but on the duratec the egr valve has a gasket between it and the intake manifold.

now if the idle changed then its possible the gasket is leaking. that wouldn't indicate that the valve was not closing.

yes the egr valve should be closed at idle. however if the valve was open at idle it would cause the idle quality to decrease and the engine might/would stall.

what you indicate is a vacuum leak, with the engine idle changine, not an egr valve that isn't closing.

to check apply vacuum to the vacuum port of the egr valve at idle, the idel will drop and get rough, and if you apply enough vacuum the enigne could stop running.

bottom line the egr valve itself doesn't sound to be the issue.

if its not closing and sealing properly then it would have a rough idle and would set a DPFE code since it would be pulling exhaust gas all the time. i bet you just have a bad EGR gasket. clean both surfaces well and replace the gasket, you can do this yourself easily.

It should be easy to pull the valve off to check for buildup and swap the gasket. Striker is exactly right about symptoms though and you'd likely be having noticeable issues if it was actually bad.

Hi,

I was adviced to change my EGR valve. The guy recommended that I should seek an OEM part rather than a aftermarket stuff sold on Autozone/Autoparts stores.
I checked with the Ford dealer and the original EGR valve is $193.00
At Autozone, it is about $80.00

I really do not want to try junk yard route as I want to make sure the part is in good working order. So is there another place where I can buy OEM quality EGR valve at cheaper than what the dealer is asking?
Where do you guys buy your stuff online?

My car is 1995 Contour GL Zetec 4cyl. Automatic

Thanks

Myself and others on this site use. Rockauto.com for our automotive parts.

Check rockauto.com I just ordered a full set of struts from them an they have lighting fast shipping! I got the KYB GR2's front & rear for $230 shipped and I ordered them on a Monday and received them the very next Saturday. I didn't even get to use to coupon code because I just found out about it this week on here.

Also somewhere on here is a 15% or 20% discount code you type in at checkout.

After hearing all this, I really don't want to replace the valve before making sure it itself is the problem.
One thing for sure is that the rpm goes up when you spray directly into the body of the EGR valve. The change is not so drastic but it is very noticable.
The gasket between the valve and the pipe that goes to intake is a tin metal and it is not in good shape. I removed this to block the passage to intake to see if the valve is leaking couple months ago and it wasn't leaking. So I eliminated the valve. I also did the suck test with a vacuum pump. The diaphragm was holding the vacuum and engine was stumbling very badly when the valve was open. But this was several months ago as well. I am also very sure that PCM doesn't send command to EGR solenoid to open the valve. I can see all this thru the scanner. And EGR solenoid is functioning properly as well. So no vacuum goes to EGR valve at idle to open the valve. If there is a leak it must be small amount of leak or like you guys said, it could very well be a gasket.
I am willing to pull the valve out but there is one issue, there is a piece of metal pipe that is attached to EGR valve mount and this pipe carries water to heat core. I would like to see if it is possible to remove the valve without messing with these hoses.

Where do I look to find some infor about EGR valve removal on this forum?

And attached is the picture of the gasket when I removed it. I put the same one back.

Attachments

• EGR gasket.JPG
    EGR gasket.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
Check rockauto.com I just ordered a full set of struts from them an they have lighting fast shipping! I got the KYB GR2's front & rear for $230 shipped and I ordered them on a Monday and received them the very next Saturday. I didn't even get to use to coupon code because I just found out about it this week on here.

Also somewhere on here is a 15% or 20% discount code you type in at checkout.

Thats a decent deal on a decent basic replacement strut. And the coupon codes are only good for 5% so my last order I got $.68 back and was all excited.

Back