• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hesitation

RawPower

CEG'er
I have a 98 csvt with hesitation/misfires below 3k rpm. It is fine while accelerating slowly. If I hit the pedal fast past about 1/4 it hesitates because of misfiring. Feels like multiple misfires. There are zero codes stored. It has all it's power above 3k, no issues. It did this before and after new plugs and wires. Egr, tb, and maf were cleaned. Fuel filter changed. Coil tested good. Fuel pressure constant 45psi while idling. Pulled plugs and they look good, not many miles on them. Silicone grease on wires. What are your experiances?

Also I had to change battery, after driving 250 miles all emission monitors are ready except the evap. Any specific driving to get this ready?

what you explained is something that alot of people have an issue with, it has yet been solved for some. Some same you have to replace your wires/coils/plugs all at the same time and it will fix your problem, someone even replaced the whole EGR system and still had the problem. I have this same problems however my car had a bad dpfe and the dying of the car went away when i replaced it but my hesitation is still there below 3k rpms.

Does your car have like a weird kick feel at idle when you first start it, like something is popping? Mine does that every morning and after the car warms up it goes away, it could possibly be an intake leak but i haven't checked more into it, you would think FORD would have a TSB on this issue. :/

It actually starts and idles fine. If I floor it in neutral it misses very little because it is not under load. My dpfe went out long before this issue. That gave me a code so it was easy to figure out. Even with the dpfe going out, there were no drivability issues.

yeah well i have 0 codes and i have hesitation under 3k rpms, its either a spark issue or a vacuum leak.

I tried different plugs and wires, but still had the problem. I got an ignition coil from the junk yard and presto, fixed. Now mind you the original coil tested good (the same as a new one from a parts store). Hope this helps someone.

Back