• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

charging system light problem

jtmccann81

CEG'er
I was driving last night in the rain and the charging light came on and flickered for a few seconds and went off and did it a few more times before I got home. When I got home I checked all the fuses including the mega fuse (including replacing it just to be safe) and they are all good. I did a volt meter test of the battery, alt, and starter.
I need help has anyone ever had this problem before?

Rain and flickering Battery/Charge light is usually attributed to a wet belt. Check your belt and tensioner condition.

I did a volt meter test of the battery, alt, and starter.
I need help has anyone ever had this problem before?

So what did your voltmeter read? If you hook it up and drive it around, your voltage should only vary about 1 volt. That's from idle to redline. I think my range with my new alternator was between 13.4 and 14.4 volts. (I had my voltmeter connectred to my cig lighter socket.)

The only time that I had my charging light go on was when the regulator on my alternator went bad. My voltage ranged from 10.5 volts at idle to 17.4 volts at 6500 rpms. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: The voltage was soo high that I blew my passenger side headlight.

HTH,
BP

Back