• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HELP charging system light

solo92s10

Hard-core CEG'er
Been searching and trying different things for a few weeks now. The charging system light is on all the time now, started out as a flicker and would usually go away at higher rpms but progressively got steadier till it was always on. I have a volt guage hooked up and with acc on its at a lil over 12(confirmed this with multimeter on battery) and while driving sticks just above 14 at any rpm(also confirmed with multimeter on battery while sitting in driveway revving).

Have one fog light out so i thought maybe something with a ground (since the fogs are connected with the charging system fuse) but i unpluged it and it read 11.7 at the plug.

Ive driven it for about 500 miles since the first time the light came on. And just now is the starter having issues kicking into the flywheel, but the battery is still at 12. Possible issue?? Ive had the starter go before and never gave an charging system light/

Also would the alternator rewire be something I may benifit from?

Sorry for creating another charging system thread but ive searched and searched and really didnt want to post but im out of ideas. Thanks for any input.

sounds like you need a new alternator. the battery should read 12.x volts with the car off. when the car is running the battery should alway show 14.x volts. it seems that the alternator is charging correctly off idle, hence why you might not have an issue.

Battery does read 12.x volts when off. And while started and driving has never dropped below 14.x volts. Also when i turn on the headlights the rpms do not drop.

Most parts stores will check your battery and charging system for free if you just ask (I know for a fact advance auto does it), take it in, takes maybe 5 minutes and will show not only battery cranking amps and voltage, but also alternator voltage unloaded as well as under load, and will also tell you if you have a suspicious draw. My vote goes to alt being bad.

yeah...i never trust the autoparts store testers. Took it in too advance this morning anyway and it said alternator was fine and started but to replace battery(480cca). Still searching for awnsers, since i dont think charging system light should be on for a faulty battery? Am i wrong about that?

Also It just dawned on me that these problems started after doing wheelbearings and axle seals. So maybe i may have bumped one of the wires for the alt making it loose or cut when removing or installing the pass. side axle? Just got the car up on ramps and gonna look into that when i get a jack to take the wheel off.
I know one of the wires is the one that sends the signal to the computer what are the other smaller wires and if one of these wires were damaged could it just set the light without any charging problems like im facing.

Turns out the plug with the single wire that goes into the alternator had come out. The plug itself is actually broken. Got it back in and the light is gone. Just wanted to let all know how it ended incase someone ran across this while trouble shooting thier own problems.

Turns out the plug with the single wire that goes into the alternator had come out. The plug itself is actually broken. Got it back in and the light is gone. Just wanted to let all know how it ended incase someone ran across this while trouble shooting thier own problems.

Though i had something here, im experiencing kinda the same issue, but only getting 12V while the car is running, on all new charging system checked and re checked again and again new battery checked replaced and re checked on the new battery, FML .. i checked the single wire on the alternator, also the positive wire and the plug on it as well .. guess i gotta keep searching ..

Back