• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm giving up.

SJon85

Veteran CEG'er
As some of you may know, I have been having a horrible time with my car lately with problem after problem after problem that always seems to be a mystery. In the last two years I had the car running good for about 200 miles at most. I know a lot of the problems are due to the extensive modifications done to the car, but none of them should have given me alll these problems. So the time has come, I give up on it for now. I need to be spending my time and money on something that isn't just going to run into a dead end every single time I put my blood sweat and tears into it. I will be making my last large purchase on a carport for the car and will be towing it to a family members house about 3 hours away that has plenty of land I can store it at. Heres some pics and a list of the modifications I have done to it in the last two years.

-Oval port 3L
-SVT cams
-SVT radiator
-ST220 intake manifold
-Optimized 65mm throttle body
-NPG cold air intake
-MSDS headers
-MSDS y-pipe
-Trubendz 2.5” cat delete pipe
-Magnaflow 2.5” custom catback
-DMD crank pulley
-Escape oil pan
-8.5mm Megnecore spark wires
-NPG tune
-Clutchnet stage 3 clutch
-Fidanza light weight flywheel
-Quaife limited slip differential
-3.5 final drive ratio
-HMS keyed shift tower
-80A poly filled mounts
-Fidanza short shifter
-Koni/ground control coilovers
-Subframe connectors
-Jaged rear strut tower bar
-Kenwood dnx7100 7” touch screen
-Voodoo shift knob
-AEM wideband gauge
-Relocated optima red top battery
-OEM carbon fiber hood

Not to mention the parts still waiting to be installed
-BAT 21mm rear sway bar
-SVT front sway bar
-Stangkiller front control arms
-TZT adjustable endlinks
-NPG turbo kit
-Accusump

As well as the parts I was going to buy as soon as the car was running good
-TZT rear toe arms
-PRT track version rear control arms
-Reinforced rear subframe
-DSS 3.9 600HP axles
-Oil cooler

Not to mention all the parts I replaced just to have brand new everything, as well as the things I am forgetting.

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

It has even been kicked out the garage already, because I am soo done with it.
1-1.jpg

I would hardly call those "extensive" mods. It sucks that its given you such hell, maybe once its out of your life for a bit you'll get more motivated to mess with it.

I would hardly call those "extensive" mods. It sucks that its given you such hell, maybe once its out of your life for a bit you'll get more motivated to mess with it.

Enlighten me on what extensive mods are then? If I had my turbo kit on and those suspension parts I have listed I dont know anything else major that I could put on either the suspension or engine besides forged internals.

I would say it's pretty extensive, at least your mods are tasteful and performance oriented. Better mods then most CSVT's on here or including mine! That's a lot of money u have invested! Sorry to see it give u so many issues... Do u have a trouble shooting thread? What issues has it given u? If u decide to let it go part it out or whatnot pm me u got a lot of goodies that I wouldn't mine having.. Best of luck to ya... I did the same thing years ago with an older CSVT, it kept me guessing so I shipped it to my moms house and fixed it about 3 years later. one day your baby will be good to go, and other people like the A:censored:S hole above that doesn't know an extensive mod list if it slapped him in the face shouldn't comment on something they know nothing about. he prolly has a tubbed honda-matic with a blitz body kit running 15.9's at the local 1/4 mile .. freakin haters .. :nonono:

Yea I have had several troubleshooting threads as well as PMing several others trying to figure things out. You can look at my started threads under my profile and find some of them. I think I got the ST220 intake on and working after a couple months of problem after problem and buying part after part, now 3 wiring harnesses later and trying a new coil pack and wires I can't figure out why the car is dropping spark in low RPMs. As well as the brand new oil pan gasket is dripping oil, or why there is a clunking noise coming from the rear end when I just replaced the endlinks and inspected the sway bar bushings and put different struts and springs on. I am a do it right the first time type of person as well, so nothing was half assed on this car either.

And no dont think I will ever part with this car, I will probably keep buying parts for it even though it will be sitting far away from my house.

Wow. Dick move.

I know how you feel on the plagued with problems end of things. Some time off is a good idea. Looking forward to you getting back at it.

much agreed, hate to see a car with so much work giving the owner problems. hope things get better for you and the car

Not to mention the parts still waiting to be installed
-Stangkiller front control arms
-NPG turbo kit

I would be surprised if you installed both of those things and you didnt have a smile ear to ear and loving the car again. Those stangkiller LCAs are full of awesomesauce. The NPG kit is self explanatory but the sound of a turbo 3L is mmmhmmm good.

Glad your not thinking about selling it, and i'll be waiting for updates when you come back to it.
Ive only put a fuzz over 1k miles on my 3l Cougar since i bought it in March, had the trans out and back in 3 times since due to previous owner neglect and being sold faulty parts. So i know how you feel, theres still things i need to attend to but im trying to take a break from spending money on repairs for a bit lol.

haha. hokay. To the OP, I know how it feels and mine was largely a stock engine. I didn't have the luxury of another place to store it. Maybe your car has a second chance, good luck!

Thanks everyone, just really sucks since I have devoted my life almost to this car in the past 2 years following up on my dreams of making this car beyond awesome in my mind and breaking that 13.1 quarter mile time with a proper suspension setup including #49s traction bars and some drag radials if not slicks. But I guess god has different things in mind, like probably a clean CSVT DD that I can start slightly modding.

^ My CSVT Has been down for almost 2 years. Never lose hope! I have dedicated much into making that car what it is today and still cant wait for the day it finally goes up. Good luck with it!

- amyn

I walked away from mine a year and a half ago. The numerous small problems were just a minor inconvenience that were actually fun to repair when I had time. But when the big problems started mounting I had to walk away. The big nail in the coffin was the shift tower bolt snapped off in the trans. Kudos to the diehard CEG'ers who offered to travel to me to help pull and rebuild the trans, but at that point my tool of choice would have been a 15lb sledge. I am still reminded of my Contour every day when I look at my driveway and see two long scratch marks all the way down it from the jack holding the front end up while I pushed it to the curb.

Wow, all the work you've put in your car is pretty "extensive."
I know how you feel man, you get something to work, and right there when your barely going to smile of happinness, something else comes up. You know what, even though this cars are a hassle, I really miss my burnt CSVT. :cry:

Wow, all the work you've put in your car is pretty "extensive."
I know how you feel man, you get something to work, and right there when your barely going to smile of happinness, something else comes up. You know what, even though this cars are a hassle, I really miss my burnt CSVT. :cry:

You gonna grab another one ? Cmon do it !

Must own a Honda....

Put links up for your troubleshooting thread? I'd hate to see a car like that be banished to a car port

Agreed with the Honda owner thing, another reason I want this car to run so badly is so I can spank on those little civics and integras and see the look on their face, at the track of course!

Anyways here is my last attempt, and I really dont want to spend anymore money on it.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...al-troubleshooting-thread&p=934157#post934157

I'm sorry to hear that jon. It seemed just like yesterday when u came on CEG, doing ur 3L, & posting 'how-tos' on timing:). I havnt been one of the fortunate ones either. I'm on my 3rd engine in 4 years. I do hope in time, u'll get motivation to get it running great again.

Back