• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

carbon fiber less weight?

hova15

CEG'er
How much weight difference is the carbon fiber to the stock SVT? thanks

i weighed both my trunk and hood before installation and compaired to stock trim, mind you it was really not a precise test, but i believe its about 1/3 less weight on average. iirc, trunk was 22.xx lbs and oem was like 33-4 lbs (minus taillight assembly).

if you want to save weight and want to go to the extreme of putting on light hoods/trunk, might as well drive naked :crazy:

Last edited:
i weighed both my trunk and hood before installation and compaired to stock trim, mind you it was really not a precise test, but i believe its about 1/3 less weight on average. iirc, trunk was 22.xx lbs and oem was like 33-4 lbs (minus taillight assembly).

if you want to save weight and want to go to the extreme of putting on light hoods/trunk, might as well drive naked :crazy:

What about hood weights? Care to share those?

This IS the best thread ever, I want cf seats, cf gas, cf oil, cf trans fluid, cf everything,lol

But seriously year the hood and trunk you save alot of weight, its a noticable difference when lifting the hood or trunk.

lets be honest here people, taking out 20-40 lbs of weight is NOT going to be evident when driving around. im my privious post, i was saying how its a aesthetic to just do hood, trunk, and something else possibly. yes, the intent of carbon fibre is to reduce weight while retaining some rigidity but the weight is very minimal. i bet gutting the interior will help reduce much more weight and will have a much more of an impact then removing hood/trunk entirely.

i cannot recall what the hood weighed, it was a really long time ago. essentially all i can remember is hood/trunk will save you about 1/3 of the weight.

But seriously year the hood and trunk you save alot of weight, its a noticable difference when lifting the hood or trunk.

but seriously, alot isnt the right word; some would be better.

Last edited:
i found that the difference was pretty significant. i had to use my entire hand and a little strength to lift the stock hood while my cf one i could easily lift with my pinky

Back