• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Longer wheel stud part #s when using spacers

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
This is a good guide for wheel studs when you add a 3mm-10mm spacer to your Contour/Mystique.

Stock:
KNURL DIAMETER: 13.08mm
LENGTH: 42mm
SHOULDER LENGTH: 15mm

OEM replacement:
DORMAN part number 610-306:
Orilley's $1.99 EA
Rockauto $1.14 EA
LENGTH: 48mm (threaded length is identical to stock - OEM replacement, not longer)
SHOULDER LENGTH: 15mm

These studs listed below are for "longer than stock" studs.

Belkamp part number 641-3131:
NAPA $2.39EA + $10.99 UPS flat rate charge because they don't have them in stock
LENGTH: 52mm
SHOULDER LENGTH: 25.5mm

DORMAN part number 610-341:
Orilley's $2.49 EA ($39.84 at the store)
Rockauto $1.43 EA ($38.86 shipped with 5% coupon for 20)
*Made for a 1986 Mazda RX7*

ARP part number 100-7708
Online $60.45 for 20 studs shipped
KNURL DIAMETER: 0.509 in. (approx 13mm)
LENGTH: 2.500 in. (approx 64mm) (close ended lug nuts might not fit with this length of wheel stud)
SHOULDER LENGTH: 0.315 in. (approx 8mm)

Here is the how-to video I made for the rear disc brake hubs
(note: I have the Milan 12" big brake kit and 1/4" spacer installed on the rear, your results/process may vary) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4Nb2NeW9c&feature=g-upl

Here is the how-to video I made for the front disc brake hubs
(note: I have the 13" BAER big brake kit and 1/4" spacer installed on the front, your results/process may vary) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IY0TziZ_-0&feature=g-crec-u

OK I'm probably asking a retarded question, but what exactly do these do? Are they simply required for some sets of rims? Can they make your current rims stick out slightly more for aesthetic appeal, in the way of a slightly wide-body or wide-stance look? 0.o

Either way, which would be the most recommended and/or compatible set to buy, price not being an option?

Most people will buy the spacers and longer wheel studs for the look, a wider stance is just nicer looking in most cases and quite a few people use them.

With my situation, the only way to get the 17" 5 spoke Focus SVT wheels to clear my 13" BAER brakes I need to put a 5+mm spacer in and longer studs or the rim just won't fit.

I went with the 610-341 studs because they are a good 10mm longer than stock bolts and it will give me plenty of threads for the lug nuts after I install the spacers:
DORMAN part number 610-341:
Orilley's $2.49 EA ($39.84 at the store)
Rockauto $1.43 EA ($38.86 shipped with 5% coupon for 20)
*Made for a 1986 Mazda RX7*

To update here, I didn't end up using the longer wheel studs at first with my 6mm spacers. I am getting 6 full turns on my lug nuts and is holding well. I eventually added them and posted below.

Added the how-to video for installing rear wheel studs to the first post :cool:.

Added the how-to video for installing front wheel studs to the first post :cool:.

To update here, I didn't end up using the longer wheel studs with my 6mm spacers. I am getting 6 full turns on my lug nuts and is holding well.

Nice! I'm planning on running some 6mm for the Cougar in the spring. I was worried about the studs not being long enough.

The longer wheel studs were a nice add-on and I'm glad I did it for peace of mind. If you are going bigger than 6mm/.25" spacers, please consider the upgrade for safety.

Back