• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power Steering Rebuild?

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
I was wondering, does the $13 or whatever PAS pump rebuild kit come with the tool to open the thing up? or how am I supposed to get that funky screw in back plug out?

I've never done one, but I have a spare now and was thinking $13 is significantly less than $50 and it's probably worth a shot since it wouldn't keep me off the road at this point, ya know?

any input guys?

plenty of people come in here, but no one has any help for you. I dont think I have EVER seen anyone rebuild a power steering pump on here. they are cheap enough to just replace it and let someone else deal with the rebuilding process.

well lets see, 50 minus 13 is 37 dollars, which is more than half of the price of a set of your sway bar endlinks... which I want...

and I have a spare one to tear down anyway, so if I screw it up, it's not the end of the world if I destroy one in the learning curve....

Ah yes the learning curve....................if pump is good there is NO need to rebuild it. If bad you cannot restore what needs restoring anyway. And yes I have rebuilt them before. Get the parts back together with any variation from before and kiss it goodbye, the actual pumping section must go back EXACTLY as before...........................any front rear variation in location will make noise, there is often one plate in there that can easily be flipped backwards with no indicator because metal is so hard there will be no wear to show which way it goes. You'll know though again by the noise.........

Have rebuilt racks too, the driver side inner seal is an utter b---- to change without damaging the unit, rebuilders use very special one-off tools to do that part of the job.

In short, do the easiest thing. Nobody EVER does maintenance on power steering, they only cry when they spit their guts out. You can pretty much stop it by doing something the factory is clueless about, or change the fluid. I do a complete fluid change maybe every 60-70K miles or so and since starting have never had to change anything to do with the system on any one of like 10 cars now, the cars go to the scrapyard with still well running quiet power steering.

To do? Jack wheels up in air, loosen return somewhere easy to get to, pull it off and while draining quickly get in car, start it and very fast run rack from one limit to other. Don't hit limits hard. Idea to empty as much fluid as possible QUICK without damaging unit. Do NOT let it run on empty meaning shutdown as quick as possible. Pump will gall up pumping section if allowed to run truly dry. Fill fluid back up and expect some bubble/aeration, allow that to settle out for an hour and come back and recheck fluid level again, refill if necessary.

Plan for a big mess, that fluid will dump all virtually instantly.

yeah I've changed the fluid several times. at this point it's self changing: as I put it in the reservoir it then comes out down the front of my pretty timing cover.....

Both pumps are shot so I was wondering how to take one apart. they both scream like crazy so it's not long before the one on the car siezes and snaps my ACC belt. I have a spare luckily though, and my pops claims to have a $30 off e-mail coupon he can hook me up with, so I guess I should be in business with a new pump soon enough...

thanks for the input guys!

Back