• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Few TruBenz exhaust questions

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
First, of all, does anyone recommend their exhausts? I heard about the fitment issues a while back, but maybe they have fixed those? I never really heard of quality issues other than that, so I'd think they'd be good to go.

Anyways, moving on. Down here in the south, do you think I'd need to pick up their stainless steel kit over just the aluminized? I know it's just a small price bump for the SS, but I was just wondering since that exhaust won't be seeing any terror from up north.

Third, my catback setup right now is stock SVT with a resonator delete. As all of you know, rasp is out the butt, literally. So with the, with the bump from 2.25" stock piping to their 2.5" piping, and going with the borla muffler (well, that's the decision for now), how will rasp be compared with the 2.25" SVT non resonated vs 2.5" Borla non resonated? I figured, with the increase in diamater as well as reduction in mufflers, it would be the same, if not worse? And I should shell out the extra cash for a resonated setup.

I'm playing my options as to whether I should dish out the cash for a brand new setup, or just wait around for one to pop up in the classifieds. Let me know what's up!

Thanks!

1. TruBendz has always been good quality stuff but fitment was always a problem. It may be better now but it's been a while since I've seen anyone really post about installing a new system from them. A few years ago people were buying them left and right. My system fit like crap and I still need to get it fixed. I was able to get it aligned a litte bit better with some heavy duty zip ties on the rear hanger but the pipes were not equal length at the end.

2. I've heard a TruBendz non resonated Borla before and I didn't like it. While not horrible sounding, it just wasn't smooth at all. It didn't have that clean sound you'd expect from a Borla.

3. For the cost difference, I would buy the SS even being in the south.

This was the exact car I've heard it on:

if you ever plan on getting headers don't go non-resonated. its just plain stupid loud. aircougar added resonators after awhile.

i would go with the SS. My car doesn't see winter and only alittle rain, still went with the SS.

yes the fitment wasn't great. its was close. the drivers resonator/tip was about 2 inches to short. passanger side was fine. many complained about the hangers not lining up, mine where fine.

the resonated boral sounds great, imho.

I recently purchased a cat back from them. Fitment is still a issue. I got it to work though. I don't get how they can have all these fitment issues time after time.

I had a Trubendz when they were first known as Yodude.

2.5" system non-resonated with a magnaflow muffler. VERY deep rumble. The muffler guy was kinda giving me a hard time when he was installing it...but almost shat when I started it up.

No rasp at all...even cold. But as listed above...drooooone at hgwy speeds. So much so that I got rid of it. And that was with stock manifolds/Y/Cat.

I'm contemplating getting another...but resonated. And I might even install a Dynomax bullet right after the cat to make sure drone is killed.

Fitment was an issue on my E0. Muffler guy had to make several adjustments to get it to hang right and stick out equal in the rear.

Not sure if you are aware Rexx but they are located just south of Miami. Could be beneficial for pickup, maybe make them install it.

I did not know they were south of Miami, thanks for the tip, Beans.

Also, I do not plan to get headers anytime soon, I'm just looking to change the tone up some. The two main focuses are really, changing up the sound while eliminating as much rasp as possible, and having something a tad bit flashier. The exhaust setup I have no are gutted manifolds, sho shop y pipe with cat delete, stock SVT non resonated catback. So, it's decently loud, but lots of rasp up top, and not exactly the sound I want. I mean, it's alright at lower speeds, and at idle, it rumbles NICELY. I'm looking to do something throaty and somewhat low, which is why I liked the Borla systems.

There's an exhaust shop here that I'm friends with all the guys who can help with the install and make it fit properly. It looks to be that I may end up getting a SS resonated catback from what everyone is suggesting.

My recently bought trubenz kit fit like crap on my coug, had to pay extra to get the tips to work and the piping around my sfc. I have headers, ypipe, cat delete pipe, and one large 3 chamber magnaflow and it's a good sounding really loud setup. I got an old guy pull up next to me and compliment the sound, but for DD it would be waay too loud.

Even though they are located here in Miami, they do not offer pick-up, instead they drop shipping down to $15.

As my signature states, I have a TruBendz exhaust with the magna flow, the figment sucks.. As soon as I have the extra cash I will have a shop tweak it to fit and weld it in.. Right now I just have it clamped.. It sounds great though, stock headers, gutted main cat no rasp. But the fit sucks... Can post pics of me tweaking it after hours this is the best I could get it...

I have their Y pipe and it fit fine but I do recomend that you go SS. I didn't and parts of it are very rusty. In a couple of years or less I will have to replace parts of it or just make one myself.

I believe the high rasp comes from the split pipe in the back to 2 mufflers that makes it raspy,the sound waves and exhaust gasses flow different,i hated the sound of mine from previous owner so i did a single exhaust apexi gt spec muffler and it went away,was way way louder though but smooth and deep even without cats and a resonator and sounded like a drag car up top, i set off car alarms in a parking lot while i was at a stop light taking off lol....but it was loud as hell so i put a stock catback back on for now but will do another single set up once i clear up some issue with the fuzz got to stay lo key for now :(

I've got MSDS headers, stock Y pipe and cat and mufflers, and magnaflow res - and a 3L. My exhaust has holes in the top in the piece from the catback flange to the resonator. The car is stupid loud / droning between 2000-3000 RPM; so much so that my wife won't ride in it. I'm considering getting the TruBendz pieces but since I really only need one piece (the one that connects the flange to the resonator), I'm debating if it even makes sense to drop that much cash. Y'all think anyone would be interested in buying the other pieces off me? Or, is the exhaust leak not really my issue; the headers are creating the drone? Of course, I'm not going back on the headers....

Went to look up the price on the trubendz exhausts, and their site seems to be a thing of the past or they are having it redone.

Back