• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Signs of clutch slave cylinder / TOB failure?

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
I have noticed that sometimes after starting the car, when I take my foot off the clutch it does not spring back as it should. I have to press it in again in order for it to pop back up. This has happened a couple of times within the past few weeks. This morning, after I started the car I put it in reverse and backed up, but then even with the clutch pushed to the floor I could not get it out of gear. Engaging / disengaging the clutch a few times and backing the car up more did not help at all. I had to shut the car off to get it out of reverse, but everything seemed normal after that. Is this a sign that the slave cylinder or TOB is failing?

On a side note, what exactly does the TOB do?

since you bleed the brake system did you also bleed the clutch? how is the brake fluid level?

the tob will actuate the pressure plate to relase the clutch.

chances are if the tob was failing you would expect to see brake fluid at the bottom of the mtx. its possible that the pressure plate is getting weak. I have heard of others that have had to shut the engine off to select a gear. So it sounds like the clutch is dragging.

Remove the dust boot from the TOB hole. Have someone push the clutch in while you watch the bearing travel. It should move about half an inch in full motion. Report back.

Back