• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator problem, now car wont start

Murtaza

CEG'er
I changed the alternator on my 96 GL. Put everything back together, fired her up and got nothing. I heard the starter and spark plugs try to get it going but nothing after that. My friend said he saw the drive belt move a little but then it stopped and then it was clicking (probably the spark plugs). I been out there 3 hrs in the cold so I really don't want to go back out until I get some idea what to look for? I'm going to go over everything again tomorrow morning

Crap.. I forgot to think simple. It may have been the battery itself since I left it there for a while with a dead alternator. I'll have that checked tomorrow

Last edited:
also it the battery still doesn't work look behind the T/b under the intake manifold and check the 175amp fuse. it's easy to find if you trace the 4 gauge cable that runs from your alternator to your battery, if the fuse is blown your alt won't charge the battery.

jamesmason
97 2.0L Contour modified
01 F250 S/D 6.8L V10
06 Fusion SEL V6 3.0

Crap.. I forgot to think simple. It may have been the battery itself since I left it there for a while with a dead alternator. I'll have that checked tomorrow

Yep, depending on how long the Alt was bad... the battery may be low on juice and may not push hard enough to kick the car over. Heck I have had dead batteries that did absolutely NOTHING when you turned them over...

Back