• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Subframe Bolt Access

elraido

I kant speel
For all the people out there that don't know, if you ever need to access the subframe bolt, there is an easy access "port" in your car. I thought this picture (even if it is cougar *I think*) showed very well what to look for under your carpet.....it is the grill looking thing on the floor.
20110409171832.jpg
[/URL]

In my experience, it takes less time to use a 1.5" bi-metal hole saw to cut through the body above the subframe to access the nut for the subframe bolts, than to pull back the carpet, cut through the access "slotted" panel, and then attempt to hold the nut with a wrench with one hand inside the car and then loosen the subframe bolt with the other hand under the car.... you really need 2 people to do it that way.

I do this 1 to 2 times a month, and when you are working alone, going through the side is easier and faster, if you have the tools... A good drill and a set of bi-metal hole saws is all you need.

aircougar all you do is weaken the sub frame structure. There is a reason the engineers put an opening in the footwell. I know it doesn't sound like it would be a big deal but the frames are already weak enough as it is.

This is required to remove the subframe? Just curious as hopefully I will be removing mine soon.

no it is not required unless the captive nuts starts spinning. but if you get some PB blaster in there are carefully work the bolt one should be able to get it out without issue. just take some time and pactience.

no it is not required unless the captive nuts starts spinning. but if you get some PB blaster in there are carefully work the bolt one should be able to get it out without issue. just take some time and pactience.

ahhh, the reference I was looking for... I was sitting here thinking that I've swapped the subframe several times and never had to do anything like that.

aircougar all you do is weaken the sub frame structure. There is a reason the engineers put an opening in the footwell. I know it doesn't sound like it would be a big deal but the frames are already weak enough as it is.
you are correct sir, even if you weld in a patch you've already weakened the frame.

Back