• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My turbo 3L hybrid build

newguyhooah

CEG'er
Ok So I have an SVT blended 3L. With stage 3+ clutch, short shift, Fildaza fly, and a Turbo!!! My problem is that for one I do not have a finished tune and my IMRC rod is missing. Well It has a 5lbs wastegate but my gauge only sees 3lbs of boost. What is going on? Is the altitude up here in Denver going to lower my actual boost? And with these little issues, is that why a stock Cobalt SS and a Mazda Speed3 pulls away from me hard? What do I need to do after I fix these things?

Also I just found this http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?27331-3L-hybrid-turbo
I want to run 8-10lbs of boost. Tell me how to do it without f&%$ing up my engine too bad.
And please dont tell me to get a new engine or a new car or something silly. Actually help me. I know how you guys get on here lol.

Last edited:
1. To finish your tune call Joey...
2. What do you mean by IMRC rod? the rod on the LIM that connects the 2 banks? if that is missing only one bank of butterflies on the LIM is opening and you will lose top end power
3. Normal atmospheric pressure is like 14.7psi and up here it's like 12.2psi but your wastegate should always boost 5psi wherever you are I don't think the difference in atmosphere would change what your wastegate reads but maybe. (not a turbo guru)

Oh yea and if you do mean the rod on your LIM I have one and the clips for it... somewhere

do you have a ported 3L or a hybrid 3L? if you have a hybrid do not want to run boost, or alot of it because of the higher compression. Unless you have a build bottom end?

where is the boost guage hooked up? where is the reference to the wastegate?

I want to run 8-10lbs of boost. Tell me how to do it without f&%$ing up my engine too bad.
And please dont tell me to get a new engine or a new car or something silly. Actually help me. I know how you guys get on here lol.

I actually just mentioned this to somebody who wanted to run nitrous. If you buy an ignition module that will retard your timing when you get into high boost that will protect your engine

Ok So I have an SVT blended 3L. With stage 3+ clutch, short shift, Fildaza fly, and a Turbo!!! My problem is that for one I do not have a finished tune and my IMRC rod is missing. Well It has a 5lbs wastegate but my gauge only sees 3lbs of boost. What is going on? Is the altitude up here in Denver going to lower my actual boost? And with these little issues, is that why a stock Cobalt SS and a Mazda Speed3 pulls away from me hard? What do I need to do after I fix these things?

Also I just found this http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?27331-3L-hybrid-turbo

I don't think you have a hybrid 3L. That would be 2.5L heads on a 3L block. That does reais compression to the 11.0+ range. That much compression with boost would be short lived.

My suggestion is to get systematic about spot checking your install. So, only seeing 3 psi on the guage. Possible issues...
* the wastegate spring (very very unlikly)
* the boost guage is inaccuate.
* boost leak in the system somewhere.
* where the boost guage is getting its reference.

Low performance...
* incomplete tune, lots of timing pull, knock sensor pulling tons of timing, very rich AFR
* IMRC rod, will complete choke the motor at any RPM above 3k. Especially with the turbo trying to push more air in its a major bottle-neck.

Lastly, be careful running it hard in this condition...doesnt take much with a weak tune to ruin a stock motor.

Ok, First...RAD i need that rod and lil clips. PLS pm me some pics so I can make sure its the right thing and throw me a fair price. And with the ignition module, Are they easy to install? And what one do you recomend? BrApple, I call it Hybrid cause I was told by the TEAM FORD guy that any SVT?3L build up is called a hybrid. The 3L was built by 3LDuratech. Something on there was oval ported to acomadate the SVT heads while still using the IMRC. I data logged it yesterday and sent it to Joey. Just waiting for him to get it back to me. Also this is how my vacume lines are ran.........
From the gauge to a 3 way T. split to the blow off valve, Waste gate, and over to the uper intake manifold tube. I checked them just today and the connections are very tight. Still only reads 3lbs of boost. (I think its just a weak tune so far). It does sputter a little as the boost builds up too. But as long as I just gradually ease the throttle then it spools smooth. I am thinking thats the tune too. Also I think at the higher rpm it bogs out due to the IMRC not doing anything. tHE WIDE BAND flashes at 20 when I let it throttle its self down and when I put in the clutch and let it coast it reads around 12ish. On wide open throttle it flashes 10. So those are my readings while deta logging. Hope it will get fixed with the new tune.
OH and sorry I started this post in the wrong spot. Still getting use to this.

Last edited:
Your engine is not a hybrid, split port 3L is what you have so boost is fine on it. If you dont have it tuned and your secondaries aren't working it is going to be very slow and run like crap!

Your engine is not a hybrid, split port 3L is what you have so boost is fine on it. If you dont have it tuned and your secondaries aren't working it is going to be very slow and run like crap!

not to mention the data logging probably isnt going to help Joey too mcuh until you get your other issues worked out.

well ••••, I am going to get an IMRC rod tomorrow, And Then I guess I will Detalog it again. I so hope this is just a ;itle issue. I will trade this car in so quik for a turbo something!!!! I love my svt but I do not want this to be a total waste of money for me. I will pic up an STI in a heartbeat
I would rather just not have the car payment

the whole setup has to be running 100% before you get a tune. otherwise you will be tuning around the issue, if its possible, and when its fixed it will not be tuned correctly.

Ok, So i think my only issue is the IMRC rod. Could Joeys temp tune he sent me plus the IMRC issue be a reason why it spudders and hessitates during boost and only reads 3lbs? When I just drive it normal it runs very smooth. And now that I think back, Joey told me NO WOT!. Oops. I will just drive it very soft, and then fix the IMRC then Datalog it again. I will email Joey to tell him to wait.
THX. Oh no more oil leaks and the vacume hoses are staying tight! Thx Guys, but keep the sudjestions comeing!!!

Fix IMRC rod and if it still peaks at 3 psi there are more issues than the tune. Even a temp tune won't hold that setup to under 5 psi.

You could make a band-aid fix for the IMRC rod with a properly cut and bent coat hangar.

And to hopefully make you feel better about the cobal and other cars that have been running away... moving from 5 psi to 7 psi is almost another world, the jump from 7 to 10 is even crazier. So, being 'stuck' at 3 psi has gotta be feeling sloooow. Try to be patient, once it comes together, you'll be pleased. I know I've seen a 3L turbo on you tube walk away from an STI.

Like everybody else is saying go easy! Even on a N/A engine if things aren't right it could wreak havoc so be very careful on your turbo app. Like SHO said be patient we will meet up this week sometime and we can throw on the IMRC rod and clips I got. (I would just stay away from a coat hanger for now haha I got your fix) Once that is on your car it will have the low end or top end it needs (depending on whether the un-sprung bank on the LIM is stuck open or closed) and you can get it data logged properly. Do you really want to trade it in for a car that everybody else has? A turbo tour I would take that over an STI anyday it's unique. So before you jump to conclusions lets get it worked out.

BAD SVT, I know I know. Ooops. I a just impatiant. SHOgoFast, That does make me feel better. The local Subaru shop here tells me that their stock turbos with controller are pushing like 15-20 lbs of boost. BUT, there are a few that roos that did not come stock with a turbo and they push 7-10psi and almost beats the stock turbos with the higher boost. He tells me that on the NA engines the produse more power with an added turbo. But this 3lbs thing is nothing, and it gets to me!!!
And Rad Merc, you are right. Evryone here has an STI. How about an 1987 Buick Grand National Coupe! Like in the new Fast and Furiuos! Now thats unique!!

And Rad Merc, you are right. Evryone here has an STI. How about an 1987 Buick Grand National Coupe! Like in the new Fast and Furiuos! Now thats unique!!

Um... Well I would LOVE one of those! haha or get a GMC Syclone 4.2L V6 turbo AWD they are faster than a Ferrari Testarossa in a straight line. Somebody tested it (car and driver or road and track) right here at Bandimere.

those are hard to find and still very pricey! I think once I get all my little engine issues fixed, my air ride intalled, and my CF hood put on then This will be bad A$$.
And I hope I can pull away from these EVOs and STI guys at least on the highway.

Last edited:
Back