• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Snow!!

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
Here in Sidney Ohio we got atleast a foot that dropped, along with the bloody snow plows, doing their job of making it worse for us to get our cars out. But i was driving around last night before they go the rest of the roads cleared, and i can say this honestly : My car did not get stuck once. I saw many people stuck along the roads, but my car actually has some good power. I am very pleased with it!!

*I even saw a 4x4 truck slipping on the ice that i cleared my way through >:]

all that really matters about driving in the snow is the tires you have, if you have an all-season tire, as long as you dont drive like a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: you shouldn't have any issues.

However, that being said, I drove a contour last week with Dunlop snow tires on it, and all I have to say is snow tires are the BOMB.

all that really matters about driving in the snow is the tires you have, if you have an all-season tire, as long as you dont drive like a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: you shouldn't have any issues.

However, that being said, I drove a contour last week with Dunlop snow tires on it, and all I have to say is snow tires are the BOMB.

Maybe ill get some snow tires next year then..haha. I am still sportin my summer tires..the cheap 60$ ones from Walmart ;)

But yeah, as long as you drive smartly you won't get stuck..was still amazed

i had michelin pilots on the mustang last year with around 5/32's left on them. i was scared :censored::censored::censored::censored:less to go out anywhere in the snow. i had no traction whatsoever. now i have sandbags in the trunk and new hankook ipikes(aggressive snow tires). i couldn't be happier with how the car drives. it drives so much better than my contours

I only got stuck once, and that was because i drove over a patch of ice. My car was basically positioned to where the front end was not touching the pavement at all, else i could of got off.

The winter is over now it seems, the weather is nice!! I went out and washed the car, and had the windows down ^.^

I only got stuck once, and that was because i drove over a patch of ice. My car was basically positioned to where the front end was not touching the pavement at all, else i could of got off.

The winter is over now it seems, the weather is nice!! I went out and washed the car, and had the windows down ^.^

winters over? I doubt it... we may have a nice week but it is not yet march....

I certainly hope the cold cold is over but who knows.....

Maybe ill get some snow tires next year then..haha. I am still sportin my summer tires..the cheap 60$ ones from Walmart ;)

Never follow me.

But yeah, as long as you drive smartly you won't get stuck..was still amazed

Summer tires in winter is not too "smartly" at all.

I swear I'd be dead right now if not for my Blizzaks.

I loved my Blizzaks on my tour, it was like snow tank, even when it was lowered

Yeah...my summer tires are okay in rain, but absolutely terrible in the snow.

This is why they are called "summer tires" to be used in "summer" weather. Snow does not fall into that category aside from the arctic regions.

I loved my Blizzaks on my tour, it was like snow tank, even when it was lowered

Yeah, my car's pretty much a snow plow.

This is why they are called "summer tires" to be used in "summer" weather. Snow does not fall into that category aside from the arctic regions.

I've had summer tires that were terrible on anything but dry pavement.

Yeah, my car's pretty much a snow plow.

I've had summer tires that were terrible on anything but dry pavement.

Summer tires are usually only designed to work well on dry pavement, although some of them have a water channel to resist hydroplaning, usually the cheapo ones suck on wet pavement.

ive ran summer tires all winter. they may suck but i still pass the tards in AWD driving 12 MPH in a 55. Summer tires do suck, but they sure are fun in the snow

Blizzaks for the win. I picked up a 1 winter used set for $150 and they are the best purchase I've made since my contour. I pass 4x4 trucks, and awd subies and the sort no problem. Up here in Houghton there are some epic hills, with 40% grade roads. Lets just say they aren't a problem.

If "fun" = "can't stop," then yes, they're delightful. I'd prefer to know that I can have control of my car when I need to.

I have never lost control of my car this winter. It is all about how you drive. If you drive stupidly, then of course you are going to lose control.

I have never lost control of my car this winter. It is all about how you drive. If you drive stupidly, then of course you are going to lose control.

And I'd posit that driving the speed limit when more capable vehicles are driving much slower is "driving stupidly." The best driving in the world won't help you stop like snow tires will.

And I'd posit that driving the speed limit when more capable vehicles are driving much slower is "driving stupidly." The best driving in the world won't help you stop like snow tires will.
One should rarely drive the speed limit in winter, unless you have very good tires or chains. Then again it does not matter if your on ice. If you live anywhere that sees over 100 inches of snow per year, dedicated snow tires are necessary.

Back