• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

dont care about looks. only performance

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
i'm looking to auto-x this year and was wondering what would be best for it. i also want a comfortable ride for driving back and forth to school and work, but i want to be able to take just about any corner with ease. i have a front strut tower brace and am looking to weld up my own back one. have the back half of the interior gutted and ready to go. any suggestions?

Are you looking to compete in autox or just have a good time corner carving? If you want the ability to adjust between road comfort and performance your choice should be the Koni struts with the spring of your choice.

if you want the best performance go Konis with ground controls set to/near stock height. this gets you increased spring and dampening rates while keeping the suspension geometry correct. Dont bother with the camber kits if you go with that setup as 1. you will still be within acceptable camber ranges and 2. the camber kit has been known to break the Koni struts.

if you want the best performance go Konis with ground controls set to/near stock height. this gets you increased spring and dampening rates while keeping the suspension geometry correct. Dont bother with the camber kits if you go with that setup as 1. you will still be within acceptable camber ranges and 2. the camber kit has been known to break the Koni struts.

awesome, i like my ride height (i know it looks like a 4x4 right now, but i need it) i dont like having to drive super slow over bumps and RR tracks.

i like being able to get to places like this...
IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

and over the other side of the mtn.

Hawk watch MTN 2, Indian Town Gap, PA.

It's absolutely slammed. He doesn't really go off-roading. He just has to drive through a ditch kind of and a field to make it to his pole barn where he keeps his car sometimes.

It's absolutely slammed. He doesn't really go off-roading. He just has to drive through a ditch kind of and a field to make it to his pole barn where he keeps his car sometimes.
Quoted for truth lol. A driveway is suppose to go in this year about...I heard that the last 2 years though too lol.
And its about half a pop can off the ground in the front. Robert get this, Charity was backing it out of the polebarn, the sideskirts are so close to rubbing on the cement man when backing out past the door its crazy!!

Even with them all the way up it's still too low and causes poor suspension geometry.

Your best upgrade is going to be good set of light weight wheels and some really sticky tires. From there do the struts and springs and the rear strut bar. Either before or after the struts you should upgrade the rear sway bar along with the endlinks. Install some subframe connectors and replace your control arms so have nice new bushings and ball joints (if you haven't already). Keep in mind that after doing all that you won't be in a class that you will be competitive in but if you are only trying to compete with your friend that's fine.

Keep in mind that after doing all that you won't be in a class that you will be competitive in
While we're on the topic of competitiveness, put your interior back in...gutting isn't allowed until wayyyyy up there in street mod, and you don't want to be there.

Simply by doing springs and the front strut bar he'll technically be in a class he doesnt want to be in which is why I asked if it was just for fun.

Those items only bump you to STS from my comprehension of the 2009 rules. I'll be doing it "just for fun" this year in STX due to my headers (no cat removal in STS...) and have no delusions of being a threat to anyone. However, I think there's a difference between bumping up one class so you can still participate for fun because of an existing mod and intentionally doing something that puts you at the top for no benefit. That seems anti-fun.

Back