• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

P0401 help

TikeCSVT

CEG'er
So my CEL came on and i scanned it got p0401, cleared it and about 15 miles later it came back on.
I know it means insufficient EGR flow, but where should I start. i read that I need to clean out some parts but where should I start and what should I clean?
Thanks ahead of time!

time to remove the tb and clean the egr passages behind it. you might also want to do a complete intake rebuild/cleaning. you can find the instructions in the duratec maintenence forum

Do you think its necessary to do the LIM to clear this code?
Or would it be okay to just take care of the whole UIM and EGR and TB area?
Thanks

since youre doing it, you should prob just clean/rebuild the whole thing. then if its something you missed or didnt do, then you have to take it all apart again. i would say save a possible headache and take care of all if it

may also want to check this out http://www.obd-codes.com/p0401

How bad is this to my engine?
I have read that it is causing power loss and a lower MPG. Is that true?
Anything else though, long term?
Ive read through everything and I'd like to do a full clean/rebuild of my UIM/LIM, and optimize my TB and take a good look at my fuel lines.
Basically it may be a few weeks to get the money and time to take care of it all so I'm hoping that isnt going to cause more trouble.

Do you think its necessary to do the LIM to clear this code?
Or would it be okay to just take care of the whole UIM and EGR and TB area?
Thanks

to clear the code all you should onlyhave to clean the passages behind the tb. you can pull and clean the whole UIM if you choose. it isn't that much more to get the LIM out so its your call. take a lool and then decide.

EGR cleaning is pretty easy, pull off the throttle body and gasket and you will see a couple of passages in the intake manifold that go around the opening for the throttle body, they will be covered with carbon build up, and more than likely totally clogged, you can easily clean it out with a small wire brush.

Yeah ive read over all the instructions and I am at least going to take car of the Tb and UIM %100.
My only problem now is that I wont have the new gaskets and then I wont have the time for a couple weeks.
Is this going to cause any other problems now or down the road? Or should I make the money and time work to save other headaches?

if the gaskets are original and the intake has never been off replace all the ones you remove. the uim to lim ones are reusable but I wouldn't if they are original.

Anyone?
Is it okay to wait?

yes it is, your fuel economy will be affected for the time being, but you wont do any damage.

if the gaskets are original and the intake has never been off replace all the ones you remove. the uim to lim ones are reusable but I wouldn't if they are original.

agree with brapple, order some new gaskets.

ALright great thanks guys!

Yeah Im going to order all new gaskets and find the time and to a full clean/rebuild :)

Back