• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

6 Speed Contour

Just because other people have deemed it impossible or unlikely, or even dumb, doesn't mean it can't be done.......maybe it has to be totally customized to work, who knows, if you want to do it, pursue it and be the first to make it work. All I know is that, without people trying things that haven't been done before, everyone here would all be doing the same things. Forget the 3L swap, turbos, etc., nothing would become "acceptable" if it weren't for the pioneering people on this site who made things possible when everyone flamed them and told them it wouldn't work. Maybe you could pioneer the 6 speed swap..........

Just because other people have deemed it impossible or unlikely, or even dumb, doesn't mean it can't be done.......maybe it has to be totally customized to work, who knows, if you want to do it, pursue it and be the first to make it work. All I know is that, without people trying things that haven't been done before, everyone here would all be doing the same things. Forget the 3L swap, turbos, etc., nothing would become "acceptable" if it weren't for the pioneering people on this site who made things possible when everyone flamed them and told them it wouldn't work. Maybe you could pioneer the 6 speed swap..........

No what we are saying is that it has been tried. Repeatedly. Ask Terry Haines.

Mondy uses a completely different subframe I thought. I thought that there wasnt a problem with bolting one of those up to the motors, they just dont physically fit. Isnt the trans case configured differently too because the car is in a right hand drive configuration?

Mondy uses a completely different subframe I thought. I thought that there wasnt a problem with bolting one of those up to the motors, they just dont physically fit. Isnt the trans case configured differently too because the car is in a right hand drive configuration?

What I responded with was more more of a generalization toward pushing the boundaries of what's possible through modification.

Even if it has been tried repeatedly, does that mean it couldn't be done? No, it just means it hasn't been accomplished yet.......will it ever, I dunno, heck I could care less. All I'm saying is that there's always a way, whether it's practical or not, to get something to work. Thats why I'm saying we should give him any info we have like the pros/cons and roadblocks, then let him find a way around it if he can, not tell him it can't be done.

Differant bolt pattern, wont just bolt in

This is true.

The Zetec-variant SVTF engine has a different windage tray/upper oil pan that changes the bellhousing bolt pattern. I'm sure you could make your own windage tray if you were so inclined.

the bolts don't line up, and the input shaft is smaller if i do remember correctly. so the clutch wouldnt bolt to the flywheel, the flywheel wouldnt bolt to the crank, the trans wouldnt bolt to the block, and you'd have super tight gears and it would probably make your 1/4 mile time slower in the end. lol

Input shaft is the same. Crankshaft is a standard zetec crank. Some boosted svtf guys have swapped to the mtx75 as it's more reliable and cheaper.

I thought we were talking about the SVTF not the mondeo 6 speed. I bet geting one imported would make it insane expensive

the question is why would you want to put the getrag on, its worthless, why do you think the FSVT guys get rid of it? Plus it seems like they are using the MTX75s from the Zetecs and not the Duratecs, so still wouldnt "bolt right up".

Why do you need a 6 speed? will it improve the drivability of your duratec? Its not gonna make your car go any faster and it just gives you tighter gear ratios. If its just to make your car look cooler, why not just get a shift knob off a 6 speed focus and tell people your car has a 6 speed.

Honestly, several people have tried it with a lot more mechanical ability than you probably have, probably a bigger budget for parts too, why do you think you'll get it done when they couldn't?

If you really want to try, then import a mondy 6 speed and modify that to work, its your best option.

I thought we were talking about the SVTF not the mondeo 6 speed. I bet geting one imported would make it insane expensive

IDK someone mentioned it.

Last edited:
Why do you need a 6 speed? will it improve the drivability of your duratec? Its not gonna make your car go any faster and it just gives you tighter gear ratios. If its just to make your car look cooler, why not just get a shift knob off a 6 speed focus and tell people your car has a 6 speed.

That made me actually laugh out loud. I cant say I understand why would want one either

What I responded with was more more of a generalization toward pushing the boundaries of what's possible through modification.

Even if it has been tried repeatedly, does that mean it couldn't be done? No, it just means it hasn't been accomplished yet.......will it ever, I dunno, heck I could care less. All I'm saying is that there's always a way, whether it's practical or not, to get something to work. Thats why I'm saying we should give him any info we have like the pros/cons and roadblocks, then let him find a way around it if he can, not tell him it can't be done.

Does anyone else feel a need for a slow clap? :shrug:

Back