• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking for a upgrade

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
I am looking to upgrade my cd player for my car..and since tax's get to me in 8 days, I am excited. So below ill put some specifications, but other than that just post what you have/what you think i will like. I will of course be looking on my own also. I will be posting what i find.

Requirements -

-Mp3 input hookup (on the front face)
-Usb slot
-Be around 200$, a little more doesn't hurt but ill only have around 230$ from taxes to spend :S
-Must look decent..not a bajillion buttons.

Other than that, go crazy.

Some that i like :

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P410UB
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/Premier/DEH-P310UB

Those two are basically the same, but the second one is better to me, because it has usb in the front..haha. But it really doesn't matter where it is. Just look smooth.

You can't go wrong with the Pioneers, but the more I get to listen to this HU and all its bells and whistle. I feel its worth a mention Dual XHD 7714

xhd7714boxda3.jpg

MP3/WMA CD support
HD Radio
USB & AUX on front plate
Built-in BlueTooth
Adjustable source level
I Tunes Tagging

$140 @Wal-mart
$199 @ Crutchfield

You can't go wrong with the Pioneers, but the more I get to listen to this HU and all its bells and whistle. I feel its worth a mention Dual XHD 7714

MP3/WMA CD support
HD Radio
USB & AUX on front plate
Built-in BlueTooth
Adjustable source level
I Tunes Tagging

$140 @Wal-mart
$199 @ Crutchfield

Hmm i like it actually. I am getting a vender magazine in the next week, so im going to be looking at that..300$ cd players for 100... ^.^

I picked up a display unit Kenwood from Best Buy last month, something like $110 after all the markdowns for being a display, and I've been really happy w/ it, and the ipod control works really well, though I haven't tried using a plain USB drive with MP3s on it yet.

Not sure if this is the exact model number, but its virtually identical if its not the exact one
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC...ood+VENDORID113&searchdisplay=Kenwood&tp=5684

I picked up a display unit Kenwood from Best Buy last month, something like $110 after all the markdowns for being a display, and I've been really happy w/ it, and the ipod control works really well, though I haven't tried using a plain USB drive with MP3s on it yet.

Not sure if this is the exact model number, but its virtually identical if its not the exact one
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC...ood+VENDORID113&searchdisplay=Kenwood&tp=5684

I like it, but i want something that has the front mp3 hookup..its just something that i must have for some reason :S

How would you hook the mp3 up to it anyways?

It has a USB cable out the back that you can place anywhere. I ran mine back around to the front and then over into the glovebox because that's where I keep my iPod.

You don't even need an actual MP3 player to hook up to it, supposedly any old USB memory stick or hard drive can plug directly into it and it can pull MP3s off the drive.

I found a Cd player i want that has both mp3 and usb hook ups, along with blue tooth if i ever wanted to use it..all for 160. I have to wait till next friday to get it though, since thats when i get income tax's back ^.^

Will post pictures when i get it and install it :)

I would recommend Pioneer, they make a unit I think it's DEH-6000UB, if IIRC... It's pretty much the top of the line of the typical pioneer series.... Has CD MP3, and built in bluetooth w/mic, as well as USB with direct IPOD ability

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Source/CD-Players/DEH-P6000UB

I do also not recommend DUAL brand units.... I've seen more of those come back with issues than any other brand I've seen.... Yes they are nice cheap units... but cheaper isn't always better.... Most units regardless have 1 year manufacturers warranties so if they do fail... they will probably do so within a year... if they make it past that.. then you should be fine...

I found a Cd player i want that has both mp3 and usb hook ups, along with blue tooth if i ever wanted to use it..all for 160. I have to wait till next friday to get it though, since thats when i get income tax's back ^.^

Will post pictures when i get it and install it :)

But does this one have HD radio and is Bluetooth built in or you have to buy extra adaptor? And is an iPod cable included also?

I wouldn't be so quick to abandon the Dual. I've researched quite a bit and it's the only unit with complete features at that price. Full one year warranty and HU's are very easy to install and remove if problem. Just bought on eBay, $140 total price, no tax and free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320330856501

But does this one have HD radio and is Bluetooth built in or you have to buy extra adaptor? And is an iPod cable included also?

I wouldn't be so quick to abandon the Dual. I've researched quite a bit and it's the only unit with complete features at that price. Full one year warranty and HU's are very easy to install and remove if problem. Just bought on eBay, $140 total price, no tax and free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320330856501

Well when you've installed as many as I have, and seen the number that have issues down the road... you'd feel the same way... Once again though... I only offer my opinion and allow others to formulate their own on the subject.

Well when you've installed as many as I have, and seen the number that have issues down the road... you'd feel the same way... Once again though... I only offer my opinion and allow others to formulate their own on the subject.

Actually you offered more than opinion, yours is based on firsthand experience from many units so is better and more representative than any single review. But I doubt if many were XHD7714's as it is a new model. Quality can vary as much by model as it does by manufacturer. Bad quality is mostly attributed to bad design so a newer model can be a night and day difference.

And your other statement is very very true also. I know as well from my work experience in electronic component reliability.
Most units regardless have 1 year manufacturers warranties so if they do fail... they will probably do so within a year... if they make it past that.. then you should be fine....

Since only a 5 minute job or less to remove a properly installed HU the one year warranty is what sealed the deal for me on the Dual. If I go through two or three units to get a good one it's worth it to me to save $150. Actually I didn't find a HU with the major features of XHD7714 at any price. All others were "ready", had to buy an extra cable or adaptor at significant cost.
  • Bluetooth built-in
  • HD radio
  • front Aux & USB
  • front iPod compatible w/cable included

Yes, it does to the HD Radio and Blutooth, but i doubt ill ever use either.

And it doesn't really bother me if i have a Ipod cable or not, because ill end up buying a longer one >.>

Thank you for your input ^.^

For the most part I usually don't talk down too much on brands when selling radios... I hate the infamous question, "Which one do YOU think is best" which is annoying. I want people to pick units out that they like, for the stuff it does that they like, not what I like. Yeah I can tell you the cool features... but in the end, I'd like you to get it b/c you like, not because I do... Same thing with the install bay, if I don't have the right part, I usually refer them to my buddies install shop, (both are brand name stores, not little local shops) Because I'd rather someone get the right stuff, and get it installed right, rather than going to some shops in this area that do half ass jobs and shady work. I know my buddies installs, and I know he takes a great deal of pride in them and doing them. Much the same way I do, I like to do things right, not see how quickly I can get it done. I'm glad you got a unit that fits your needs, regardless of the brand. I agree alot that it can vary by model, and most of the units I did see come back from DUAL were units that 1st came out, they had the LCD hidden behind the controls, which would motorize down. I think I threw out like 6 face plates the other night from those units... and that wasn't all the units that had issues.... lol. Lately I haven't seem much of anything coming back for issues. The last one was a Kenwood, which the internal amp just stopped working... no burn't smell.. all speakers on the car tested fine... happend like within like 3 months of the original install. Which used a proper harness and all.... so it wasn't hacked up or anything.... all in all though. Sounds like a sweet ass unit... HD radio is pretty sweet and hands free is even better.

The only reason i posted this thread is to get more ideas on head units that I might like, not to ask anyone what they like, even though that comes with it no matter what you do. I posted the details of what i wanted, and i was waiting to see what people would throw at me. I appreciate everyone helping, but i found out I am better of looking at stuff that i can actually play with. Which is why stores like Walmart, HHGreg, etc. are nice stores to buy car audio for me, at least. I went looking yesterday with my day of school, and i played around with the stereo equipment in every store i went to, even got yelled at a couple of times because i was playing it to loud, haha.

I have till next friday to make a decision, so I will still be looking.

The only reason i posted this thread is to get more ideas on head units that I might like, not to ask anyone what they like, even though that comes with it no matter what you do. I posted the details of what i wanted, and i was waiting to see what people would throw at me. I appreciate everyone helping, but i found out I am better of looking at stuff that i can actually play with. Which is why stores like Walmart, HHGreg, etc. are nice stores to buy car audio for me, at least. I went looking yesterday with my day of school, and i played around with the stereo equipment in every store i went to, even got yelled at a couple of times because i was playing it to loud, haha.

I have till next friday to make a decision, so I will still be looking.

Nice! :D What ticks me off is when little punks come to our place and crank the stereos all up and when you switch to listen to them they blare... or when they crank the sub wall up and touch the speakers as they are playing... that's the one that pisses me off the most... b/c we always have cracked subs which is freaking annoying b/c no one is going to buy damaged subs.... I always yell at people whenever they do that...

It has a USB cable out the back that you can place anywhere. I ran mine back around to the front and then over into the glovebox because that's where I keep my iPod.

You don't even need an actual MP3 player to hook up to it, supposedly any old USB memory stick or hard drive can plug directly into it and it can pull MP3s off the drive.

I have the excelon X791 and I've thrown usb flash drives, usb microsd converter drive things, mp3 players with hard drive support. It reads it all. I also run it to the glove compartment but you could probably just run a USB extension cable and run it to where ever you want in the car. Same thing with the Line input on the back of the unit. Run an extension to wherever you want. Who the heck wants bulky cables hanging off their head unit like that anyway. Makes it look like an old school phone switch board or something...

Nice! :D What ticks me off is when little punks come to our place and crank the stereos all up and when you switch to listen to them they blare... or when they crank the sub wall up and touch the speakers as they are playing... that's the one that pisses me off the most... b/c we always have cracked subs which is freaking annoying b/c no one is going to buy damaged subs.... I always yell at people whenever they do that...

Im not into damaging property, haha. I just like to go and mess with them, to see what they will sound like on low volume, to make sure im getting a decent sound quality.

I have the excelon X791 and I've thrown usb flash drives, usb microsd converter drive things, mp3 players with hard drive support. It reads it all. I also run it to the glove compartment but you could probably just run a USB extension cable and run it to where ever you want in the car. Same thing with the Line input on the back of the unit. Run an extension to wherever you want. Who the heck wants bulky cables hanging off their head unit like that anyway. Makes it look like an old school phone switch board or something...

I think, (for me) the reason for the front face USB is to have it connect to my Cell phone, to play the music stored on it (4gig worth) and use the usb to charge the phone too. Having my phone in the glove box doesn't work for me. :shrug:

Back