• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

6000K vs 8000K

CSVT_2004

Hard-core CEG'er
I know this is a topic that has been discussed over and over, and all over the internet... What I would really love is not only the head on shots... like here...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front-drives-2005-2009/878088-8000k-vs-6000k-vs-4300k-hids.html

Some shots from sitting in the car looking down a road. That's the main thing I'm concerned about.... I want to make sure that I'm getting the nice white looking down the road... slight blue is ok, which I know 8K can do... but I still want to see what it looks like sitting in the car looking down the road... that's the pictures pretty much everyone else has, head on shots of their HID headlights and what they look like, but very very few of them actually have pictures from the drivers view and how much they can see while driving.... So if anyone can get some pictures from the drivers seat of either bulb temp, it would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!!!

I just put 4500 K in my car and man is the light white, no blue tint though, which is fine by me. I have seen other vehicles with a really blue tint and you can hardly see their lights ...

i went with 6000k back in the day mostly because i was trying to create that "lexus" look with the purplish headlights and yellow fogs.

anything over that though looks too blue and light output is not as much i don't think.

i really don't have any good pics of them looking down the road but they were mroe than sufficient.

Just put 6k in my car. Love the brightness of it. Slight blue tint. Depending on the brand of the HID bulbs will be the difference in the colors I believe. You just pay for quality, however, I'm a broke man, so I went with ebay special.:laugh: I'm satisfied.

I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it. Just warning you, I have haze headlights.

Just put 6k in my car. Love the brightness of it. Slight blue tint. Depending on the brand of the HID bulbs will be the difference in the colors I believe. You just pay for quality, however, I'm a broke man, so I went with ebay special.:laugh: I'm satisfied.

I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it. Just warning you, I have haze headlights.

no need for the ebay special any more. DDM Tuning offers HID kits for $40

Wow what a deal. I bought mine last year and just got around to installing them. Tried once..didn't work. So researched on here and found that whole orange wire to the color wire in the kit thing. Tried again and presto. I think I ended up paying $70 on ebay.

Wow what a deal. I bought mine last year and just got around to installing them. Tried once..didn't work. So researched on here and found that whole orange wire to the color wire in the kit thing. Tried again and presto. I think I ended up paying $70 on ebay.

yes the DDM ones and others are wired backwards when compared to out cars. just need to turn the plug over or swap the pins.

I have 8000K in the low beams and stock in the high beams. I probably wont take any pics tonight of what the light output looks like against a garage door.

Here is what I had already loaded up. I will take some more tonight. Ill also make a video just driving around the neighborhood so you can see how far the light shows. When I drive a contour without HIDs I feel like I cant see that much.

I KNOW ITS RASPY!:blackeye:

CIMG0948.jpg

CIMG0946.jpg

CIMG0947.jpg

Nice Find! I was looking at VVME, which is slightly more expensive in shipping... but only has a 14 month warranty on all parts... DDM is lifetime... so thats a selling point.

Now I just need some pics from inside the car looking out.... My whole thing is that I want to see the difference looking down a road... it's like the one picture no one ever takes when I'm looking through HID threads.... So hopefully we can get one setup here and that way others in the future can have them for reference... If I get a setup of HID's which I really want to. I'll be sure to take some night shots of being in the car...

can someone please verify what this whole switching of teh tabs on a HID kit is or that needsto be done so the HID could work on my car. I just ordered some and as I'm browsing here some have said that you have to change the tabs and flip the harness around? what?

in some cases you just have to swap the positive and negative wires in the connector that connects to the stock wiring harness.

can someone please verify what this whole switching of teh tabs on a HID kit is or that needsto be done so the HID could work on my car. I just ordered some and as I'm browsing here some have said that you have to change the tabs and flip the harness around? what?

In most cases, the negitive wire is black. If you look at your kit, while plugged in, you will see that the black wire goes to the orange on your factory plug. In order for you to get a circuit, you must connect your positive wire in your kit, to the orange wire on your factory plug.

Factory plug:
Orange = +
Black = -

VVME HID kit: (and some others may vary)
Blue = +
Black = -

If any questions, feel free to PM me anytime. I'll just need a diagram of your kit and I'll help you figure it out.

Just double checking, but it look like DDM's DDMGEN with the lifetime warranty is on sale price: $64.95. Is that the kit you are talking about?

Thinking of purchasing the 6K kit in 55W flavor- should be very bright and the 55W should wash out some of the 6K color and make it look more like a 5K light.

Just double checking, but it look like DDM's DDMGEN with the lifetime warranty is on sale price: $64.95. Is that the kit you are talking about?

yes the pictures I posted are of the DDM kit at $65. They are 35 watt, 4500 K lights. they have the lift time warrenty.

also they have the Raptor Kit, which I am waiting to get also. Those are $40 but there is no 55 watt option at this time. byt he pictures the kits are identical but the raptor kit is a few different colors instead of all black like the DDM kit. the raptors also have a lifetime warrenty.

the DDM kit has been in the field for 3 years. The Raptor kit is new but has had good results. They have only reported 2 or 3 bad ballasts.

Huh - I didn't see that the raptor had a lifetime warranty on it...

Is the 55W option really worth it? 15 bucks isn't much money, but I'm wondering if it will be too bright...

Huh - I didn't see that the raptor had a lifetime warranty on it...

Is the 55W option really worth it? 15 bucks isn't much money, but I'm wondering if it will be too bright...

hmm, when I ordered a set last tuesday the option was there. before it was lifetime and then it was switched to 1 year. they must have changed it again since they ran out again.

all I know is I had better have a lifetime warrenty as that is what is on the order that I printed out.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162182
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1136617

don't forget with the 55 watt lights you might need the optional harness that is also $20.

as for brightness
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1169904

Thanks for the info - very detailed. Looks like I am going for the 35W 5K option as I do a lot of city driving and I'm the type of person who likes to run headlights when it is misting or the sun has started to set.

Back