• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch Master Cylinder Failure.

silver rocket

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, so my clutch master cylinder went out today, i noticed it when my clutch engaged .5" from the floor board and killed my motor:nonono:.. I limped it home, which was about 30feet and popped my hood. I looked to the right of the brake booster, and sure enough! My clutch's master went out and leaked all of the fluid out of the front of itself, thank god! I don't want to wash my carpets again until its spring:laugh:.

I looked on rockauto and they have 6 different CMC (clutch master cylinders) listed!! I don't know which one to get? Any advice/part numbers? I don't want to wait 5 days for them to send it as i need my SVT on the road again SOON.
Also, would the CMC cause such a low clutch engagement? And when first noticed it, thanks to my OCD as i always keep putting it in and taking it out of gear while stopped, i couldn't get it back into 1st or any other gear.
I know i will have to replace my CMC and bleed my clutch, which is no big deal, but after i do that should i bleed my brakes as well?

Thanks in advance!

isn't there an CSVT in one of the yards up there you could pull your part off of? and i don't think that you'll need to bleed your brakes, i don't see what the point would be.

Yikes man - you keep running into problems.

At least it isn't the slave cylinder that is leaking :blackeye:. I think I have one here for ya.

Is it the silver tube looking thing with the brake fluid reservior on it, like this:

2-23-2011012.jpg

Joe, the silver tube with the brake fluid reservoir is the brake master cylinder. the clutch master cylinder is the black thing attached to the clutch pedal and that has the hose going to the fluid reservoir.

isn't there an CSVT in one of the yards up there you could pull your part off of? and i don't think that you'll need to bleed your brakes, i don't see what the point would be.

No, i looked recently and couldn't even find a 5sp.

Yikes man - you keep running into problems.

At least it isn't the slave cylinder that is leaking :blackeye:. I think I have one here for ya.

Is it the silver tube looking thing with the brake fluid reservior on it, like this:

2-23-2011012.jpg

If it was my slave i would be mad because i replaced all of that "good" stuff when i replaced my differential.
I have already replaced the clutch master cylinder, which is down ON the clutch pedal itself.
But when i went to reinstall my clutch line from the master to the throw out bearing, the line fractured and is now leaking rendering my SVT a driveway ornament again:mad:.
I had to get that line from Ford as no one else carries it and to my surprise it is only $35!

Nothing else better break in the 10,000 miles! (almost 200K!!)

so it's fixed now or it will be soon? if not i can call a few of the yards down here and check for you if you need.

Last edited:
Back