• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake filter suggestions please.

Sam, is there any way you could angle that intake pipe better? The ADC pipe I have does have the filter at a slight downward angle, but it's almost parallel with the top plastic "brace", and comes in right behind the bumper mount.

I also think that filter is too small for FI. The *common* k&n that people here are using for the 2.5/3.0 has a larger surface area than that one.

Also, if you don't rotate it forward, you're probably going to eat through your fender liner. Mine's more forward than yours, and I have a nice hole in it already... but it will be fixed, just waiting on some new silicone parts.

I will take some more pics tomorrow now that the spash guard is back on. I have the filter pointed to the horn. I think thats as good as its going to get untill I find a bend with more than a 90 degree angle to it.

I also think that filter is too small for FI. The *common* k&n that people here are using for the 2.5/3.0 has a larger surface area than that one.

Oddly enough I can't find much info online about filter sizing and FI applications. K&N uses a forumula to calculate filter area needed based on the size of the motor. They don't explain how the formula would change for FI or even what to do if the motor came stock with FI. A stock 3L which is about 184CI would need a filter area of about 61 square inches. We know that the car is going to pull in more air in an FI application so it must need a larger filter. Anyone know what CFM their supercharger/turbo setup is pulling in at max rpm?

Using this site we can get a rough estimate of CFM: http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

Use your CFM (at max rpm) to calculate the NA engine size needed to put into K&N's formula and see what size filter it comes up with.

Ex: If we have a car pulling in 600CFM which may or may not be around what a supercharged/turbo Cougar/Contour pulls in then the NA motor size based on the site above is about 300CI. Putting that into K&N's formula gets us 100 square inches. The filter above with a height of 5in and a average radius of about 2.75 inches (6 in at and in at top) should have a filtering area of about 86 square inches and would be a little small for 600CFM. In our case I'm not sure if we are pulling in 600CFM on our FI applications or not so the filter may be ok.

take your WHP and divide by 10. that will get you an approximate lbs/min flow rate. from there you can multiply by 14.27 to get CFM.

Well thats the filter that ADC included with the kit so I am assuming that its good.

I thought one of the rules of thumb (or rule of thumbs?) was that the filter should flow 2x the engines max cfm. So if my 2.5L was flowing 585 cfm, I should need a 1170 cfm filter right?

The K&N RE-0910 that's part of the ADC kit flows about 725cfm. And I was mistaken, the common RU-3530 flows about 643 cfm.. so the ADC one does flow more. I was thinking of the filter I was running when I was n/a, and it was an aFe that flowed around 754 cfm.

Based off strikers formula, the ADC filter should max out at around 508hp.

I can tell you that the filter I was running when I was n/a is much much bigger. its a k&n 9" length with a 4" flange

engine.jpg

Sure does. Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder if there is something with the same concept that can be put onto FI.

I'm wondering if it is because there is not a lot of suction from a turbo? If the filter gets clogged it will pull air through that device. Are they concerned the turbo will pull air through it all the time? I honestly doubt that unless the filter is restricted. Obviously it couldn't be mounted on the outlet of the turbo....
Or perhaps they are concerned that the turbo suction will not be enough? Either way it will work as advertised or the engine will stall, not hydrolock.
There is low pressure on the inlet of the turbo but not really any more than a normal intake. Turbo's rely on atmospheric pressure to push air into them, they are not good and sucking air, only pressurizing it.
The worst that will happen if you run into water on a car equiped with a front mount is that it could hurt the turbo and maybe pump water into the intercooler before stalling it out. I think it pretty much will never make it into the engine anyway....almost additional protection for the engine.

Back