• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour Rear BBK Installed!!!

Hydrargyrum

Veteran CEG'er
Well, sort of. Milan and I ended up going to up to Blu_Fuz's place for a mini meet so we can finally get his Rear BBK kits on. Of course, my f*ing caliper bolts are stripped beyond belief, and could not do mine.... Whoever had the car before me ruined all the bolts, so I have myself a little problem... :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Joe and Milan got theirs' on, though Milan's car was a bit tougher... Anyway, here are the pics:

Joe's car, the World famous Eggplant - :laugh:

Milan's ride, the infamous Quicksilver:

Tons more pictures to come... Way too tired to post them all. Joe has a nice step by step, before and after. I think Milan took his own pics, will have him e-mail them and I'll throw them up here.

The kits ended up looking real good, an awesome compliment to the front Baer's....

The original thread on these: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?64383-Contour-Rear-Brake-Conversion-FSVT-Rotors

Looks nice! I love the drilled ones! And sounds like you have a brake project to get on with your svt!
Where can these be purchased? I saw that the IC was closed, just wondering how to come across these?

Yeah, Milan has some painting to finish up on his calipers :blackeye:. I still have to paint my rotor hats and the area that the pad doesn't hit. I'm still braking mine in, but all I can say is thank you. My rear calipers had 225k miles on them and were starting to sieze :eek:. Now I have 9k mile painted calipers, new custom caliper brackets, BBK brackets/hardware, bendix pads, and Focus SVT front rotors on the rear.

Thanks for getting these kits put together Milan, thanks Hydrargyrum for coming up for moral support and next time we will get yours done hopefully. Just let that PB blaster do its magic on those bolts.

Here are the only pics I took :blackeye:.

Before to after, kind of a step by step order.

MilanBrakeKit001.jpg

MilanBrakeKit002.jpg

MilanBrakeKit004.jpg

MilanBrakeKit005.jpg

MilanBrakeKit007.jpg

MilanBrakeKit006.jpg

MilanBrakeKit008.jpg

Looking good. Should have at least shot some paint on Milan's so they didn't look like Ronald McDonald. :/ Hope you guys can tell the difference. Car seemed better balanced with the 13" Baers on the front of mine.

Looking good. Should have at least shot some paint on Milan's so they didn't look like Ronald McDonald. :/

Hahahahah, that was a good one. He said he was going to repaint all the calipers the same yellow as the one bracket. He wants to wait a few more weeks for the weather to clear up, and then paint the calipers and throw on his Black Powdercoated ASA AR1 wheels...

Thanks Tod. Yeah, he will paint those calipers - Main goal was to get these on and working 100% because they drove so far to get to my place.

I have only driven mine for one day about 20 miles total so far. I will finish my break-in and try some higher speed full stops. That should tell me a lot more about what is grabbing when and how much. From what I can tell, the added braking TQ to the rear has added some balanced the system. I like it a lot, and it looks well proportioned to the 13" Baers in the front.

Of course, my f*ing caliper bolts are stripped beyond belief, and could not do mine.... Whoever had the car before me ruined all the bolts, so I have myself a little problem... :nonono::nonono::nonono:
Are you talking about the stock torx bolts? if so a chisel and ball peen hammer is your friend. Then go to the hardware store and get some hex head bolts, no more rounded out bolt problems then.

Yeah, those stock torx bolts. Never thought about chiseling the heads off.

The relocation kit includes new bolts, and we had extra caliper brackets around too..... oh well, next time :cool:. Thanks Tony.

I've had a few of those rear torx bolts that have been a royal pain to get off but i've always had good luck grabbing the head of the bolt with vice grips (as tight as you can and then some) and then just tapping on the end of the vice grips to 'impact' them off.

If you could fit an impact wrench in there to break the bolts loose they'd be cake. Wonder if my new 3/8" drive impact would fit in there and if it would have enough torque to break them loose... Hmm...

I had good luck with a right angle air impact gun in the past. I just don't have one of my own :blackeye:.

Yeah, luckily the new kit comes with 10.9 grade Hex bolts... I think if we had more time, Joe would've gotten them off... This guy works magic! By the time we installed his and Milan's, we were running out of time... it was already like 9pm. So we decided to do it at another time.

I spoke to Milan earlier today, and he says that the car brakes much more balanced, and brakes much harder than before. He took a few hours to properly embed the rotors and pads, and says that the kit is amazing. Can't wait until I finally get mine on.

The picture I am posting is the clearance between the tire and wheel well before the brake kit install. Because of the new larger rotor hat thickness being more than the stock rear rotors, I now have a little rubbing while turning left at higher speeds. It must just push the wheel out another 1mm or so :blackeye:. Oh well :D

8-20-10011.jpg

A few questions as I'm interested in doing an upgrade on the stock rears on my SVT.

1. Did all of you upgrade from stock rears or did some of you have NPG rears?
2. Is there any grinding to the caliper braket like the NPG kit, and if so, is it as much as the NPG kit (assuming the rotors are brand new FVSTs)?

1. Yes, we upgraded from the stock svt/se rear disc brakes. We also have the 13" Baer brake kit in the front.
2. Yes, the stock caliper bracket needs to be opened up about 1-2mm on each side of the rotor slot. The NPG kit instructs you to grind the bracket and have the CSVT front rotor turned down a little to use on the rear, which seems weird.

I had good luck with a right angle air impact gun in the past. I just don't have one of my own :blackeye:.

Some PB Blaster, a ball peen hammer and a center punch will work wonders as well ;) When I did the struts/springs on my car I was able to get one bolt loose on each side with the T50 torx bit, but the other bolt I had to use the above tools to break it loose. I also used a dead blow hammer to tap the anchor plate forward and back to help loosen up the second bolt. I know I could have left the anchor plate on and just removed the caliper itself, but I knew eventually they would have to be removed and so I went ahead and took care of the problem as I knew it was going to be a real PITA. I hate those torx bolts with a passion :laugh:

Shannon

1. Yes, we upgraded from the stock svt/se rear disc brakes. We also have the 13" Baer brake kit in the front.
2. Yes, the stock caliper bracket needs to be opened up about 1-2mm on each side of the rotor slot. The NPG kit instructs you to grind the bracket and have the CSVT front rotor turned down a little to use on the rear, which seems weird.

As long as the price is right I'll go this route for my SVT. I'm just wondering if there is a need to swap my LX to this as it already has the NPG rear. I did have to do both the bracket enlarging and turning down the rotor.

As long as the price is right I'll go this route for my SVT. I'm just wondering if there is a need to swap my LX to this as it already has the NPG rear. I did have to do both the bracket enlarging and turning down the rotor.

There was no turning the rotor on this kit ... Simply install the relocation brackets and the rotor, and them machine/shave down certain parts of the caliper bracket.

As for the price, I believe the kit is less then a 100 bucks, without the rotors. That is about 50 bucks less then the NPG kit. Again, I am not sure what he wants for them. Get a hold of him on Facebook, work something out.

http://www.facebook.com/milan.m.filipovic?ref=profile

Back