• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Injector Cleaner

I don't ever use it. Smells like snake oil to me. I have my injectors cleaned whenever I replace spark plugs. Always has worked fine for me, and it is not very expensive to do. If gas aint taking off the crap inside the injectors, then I can't think of many things I would actually want to put in my fuel system that are gonna be a better solvent than gasoline. I'll use seafoam in my intake from time to time and if I have a particularly nasty engine, I'll add some diesel to the oil and get the engine hot before changing oil.

I use SeaFoam too. I try to use it before a long trip where I know I am going to run through close to a full tank in one drive cycle.

I like Chevron with Techron fuel system cleaner every 6 months. Every two years I'll pay $65 and get a Motorvac service done at a local mechanic shop (not to be confused with traditional fuel injector service).

Redline SI-1 injector cleaner, continuously per their dilution rules (1 bottle per 100 gallons of gas). I buy it by the case of 12 bottles, takes me about 18 months to bore through 12 bottles.

Over the past 19 years, I've run 4 cars on this plan, three of them well past 100K miles each, I've never had injectors cleaned, and I've documented on two of my cars that SI-1 will remove previously accumulated intake valve deposits and keep them away.

YMMV.

Back