• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help! Annoying Hesitation

SilverSVTC

CEG'er
Ok guys... Before somebody says search! I've been, for the past week. Read about changing wires & plugs, fuel filter, clean maf sensor... I've done it all! Only other fix I've read was fuel pump! Can a bad fuel pump cause this while running flawless in the upper RPM's? Problem I'm having is, car hesitates/misfires from 1st through 3rd and after hitting 4rth... runs perfect! Also when I turn on AC... even worse! What's going on? Recently picked the car up as my daily driver and all of a sudden this started happening. Your help will be much appreciated

Not yet... Gonna pick one up! Thx

Hope that works...but in my 12 years of owning a contour SVT...you should replace plugs/wires/coil pack all at once in these cars. It has been my experience on several occasions that leaving bad wires can "fry" the coil pack...leaving a bad coil pack can fry wires....and leaving bad plugs can fry either/both. I've chased my butt on several occasions until I adopted that practice.

Do you have a CEL?

Hope that works...but in my 12 years of owning a contour SVT...you should replace plugs/wires/coil pack all at once in these cars. It has been my experience on several occasions that leaving bad wires can "fry" the coil pack...leaving a bad coil pack can fry wires....and leaving bad plugs can fry either/both. I've chased my butt on several occasions until I adopted that practice.

Do you have a CEL?
I never thought a bad coil could fry wires or vise versa... Just put on some Talyor Thunder Volts, don't want to find out that they'll need replacing for the coil. I also don't have any CEL!

Misfires generally won't cause a Check Engine Light until they get REALLY BAD, and by that time it's far too late and all of your ignition parts are likely toast.

Ok guys... Before somebody says search! I've been, for the past week. Read about changing wires & plugs, fuel filter, clean maf sensor... I've done it all! Only other fix I've read was fuel pump! Can a bad fuel pump cause this while running flawless in the upper RPM's? Problem I'm having is, car hesitates/misfires from 1st through 3rd and after hitting 4rth... runs perfect! Also when I turn on AC... even worse! What's going on? Recently picked the car up as my daily driver and all of a sudden this started happening. Your help will be much appreciated
did u ever fix ur problem and what did it fix it

So I replaced my coil pack with a new MSD Street Fire... Problem continues!:shrug: Slight hesitation on the first 3 gears, then smooth after 4th. What else should i look for? I'm thinking vacuum leak.

Back