• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RFID transponder inside the Pats key

F111D F

CEG'er
'm one of those guys who always wants to know "why is there Air"? This is the RF id unit for lack of a proper nomenclature the chip inside in the Pats key. I thought I's share for those curious and since I was lucky to retrieve without destroying. It's inside of a glass tube filled almost with I guess epoxy. It's seems to be solid. This also had rubber protection structure it set inside and was inserted into cavitivity. For those with the Pats key look closely plastic end, notice the small rectangular outline that's cap over the cavity. Only about 2 mm thick.
Jpegs
Notice the coil in one end and two surface mount resistor and capacitor on one side and under is a black blob. That blob is probably the digital chip response back to the pats module.
The transponder ring that resides around the ignition lock cylinder energizes it's coil with a RF (frequency?) (acting like the primary of coil/antenna) that induces enough voltage into the coil/antenna in the RF ID unit which energizes the circuit which transmitters a digital pulse back thought that same coil (acting as the primary of a transformer/antenna now). This signal goes on to the Pats module which ok's the PCM to turn on the spark and fuel. Basically transponder to transponder only ones locally powered and one remotely powered.
I did a experiment yesterday by holding this glass tube against the transponder ring and turning a non-pats to "I" position the Pats led Proofed (think that's the term?). I then removed the glass tube from transponder and started the motor. Now I understand but don't have proof that the pats module does an integrity check (timed software instruction to see if it's proper key is still there) if it doesn't -- shuts off the fuel and spark. If this is the case this may explain the weird unexplained "my motor just died but it started right back up" complains I've heard over the last 9+ years. I personally had in happen once or twice during my first couple years of ownership. Sort RFI interference while the Pats module doing it's check ???? I had a fellow Ham who also is an RF engineer analyze the fuel pumps alias spark gap noise it produces. It's no wonder I get interference/noise in my radios while the engines running. It was a 10mhz wide signal centered around 67mhz. I ask a Visteon engineer what the RFI filter that Ford offers was designed to filter?????????? Oh the guy that designed the got pissed at Ford quit and took the info with him?????? I'm glad to hear Visteon does now offer a fuel pump motor that's electrically commutated. No more brushes to wear out and generate sparks. Wonder if Ford is actually using it? I lost my contact at Visteon Dang! sad.gif The electronically commuted motors for those that have furnaces with infinitely variable speed blowers seemed to be fairly well shielded. It's all about trade offs and the bottom line. Right Terry?

This is when having Valeo's "white papers" would be neat.. BUT since this is all about security the proprietary factor not just from keeping the thief out but proprietary for the manufacture keeping it's product from being copied.
Sorry for getting long winded but welcome to my world or inside my mind. Be glad your not in there

Since my jpegs are too large 258K if your interested PM with your e-mail.
Paul
two each 98 Mystique LS (07/97) (08/98)

ok so now are you going to create an rf scrambler so that you can shut off cars remotely? You could be a nusance and hang out over an expressway bridge at rushhour and start some gridlock. mmmm fun!

the pats key is only read when the car is started ... it doesn't not to my knowledge read the key at any other times ...

the pats key is only read when the car is started ... it doesn't not to my knowledge read the key at any other times ...

I agree with this statement.... all the coded key does is, is ensure the key is correct and not just a generic copy. When I was doing my remote start I didn't have my immobilzer bypass module programmed right, and the system would start the car if the key was placed in the key cylinder, but would not start if the key was taken out of it. Then of course I fixed my bypass module and programed it, and my car would start without the key.

My 2 cents

Back