• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L, are they better or just bigger?

ArcticFrostSVT

New CEG'er
Hello everyone,

New to contour.org and to owning a CSVT. Just noticing alot of people swapping out there 2.5 for the 3L, why? Is it just for more displacement or are they better in the reliability department than the 2.5? Just wondering.
By the way my CSVT is 2512/2760 and is Silver Frost. She has just over 102k on her and is in need of a good cleaning, either a rear bumper repair or a new bumper, and a side skirt, not sure which one yet, cause they are both off and one is missing completly. She is in Alaska, while i am here in Washington. Wont be back there til next spring.:cry:

Last edited:
Well try reading some more of the 3L section and you'll learn alot about the ups & downs...but the bottom line for some is a motor swap is inevitable on an aging car. 3L's are plentiful, cheap, and relatively easy to swap (same architecture) so why spend money on an aging 2.5?

They are bigger and better (more reliable). I wouldn't worry about it though.

With 102k miles you should have plenty of life left in the 2.5L unless it's been abused/neglected. Unless you're looking for more power I'd stick it out with the 2.5L

Seems like the 98's had a lot of motor issues due to spun bearings and when replacing a motor you might as well go with one that is cheaper, has more power, and doesn't have reliability issues. The later 99-00 SVT's don't seem to have nearly as many motor issues.

Not sure how well she was taken care of, will have to wait til next spring to see. But hopefully all is well. Think next summer i will locate a 3L so i can slowly get it ready. Thanks all, for the warm welcome and to your responses. Looking forward to being part of the club.

Seems like the 98's had a lot of motor issues due to spun bearings and when replacing a motor you might as well go with one that is cheaper, has more power, and doesn't have reliability issues. The later 99-00 SVT's don't seem to have nearly as many motor issues.

More 98's produced also.

More 98's produced also.

Yea its all up in the air. More volume of the 98's, but then there was all the little tweaks that Ford made to the car over the years and then of course the SVT versus non-SVT. Was it for the better, was it worse... Only the engineers at Ford probably know.

Back