• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally got my header!

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Got my header today and installed it at work. I have to say, the car sounds like total ass. Its REALLY raspy and LOUD! car is running really lean, and idles at 2K rpm. I'll have to figure out whats going on with it tomorrow. Car is quicker, and i can feel a power difference thru the whole power band, but its kinda hard to tell with it not running 100%. I also cant belive how quick it started to blue.. idk, i've never had a header before. is that normal?

Image0139.jpg

Image0141.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b...Mystique GS/?action=view&current=MVI_3119.mp4

I do have videos of me driving and you can tell how loud it is in those videos. You'll have to search around on my photobucket to find them.

Congrats on the header install! Sorry to hear the exhaust :-( Time for mufflers! lol

The color change is pretty much normal with the headers. The Steal is going through extreme heat cycles for the first few times as a header. The color it turns is a slight indication of hardness/strength. You'll be fine as along as you don't have exhaust leaks!

its either chrome or stainless.

I agree its time for mufflers. I have a single glasspack on it now, that is it. The rest is just a straight pipe. I guess its time for an SVT setup.

That is the exact same header I got put on my car today! I had to go this route because my old Cat was clogged. I figured that if I'm getting a new Cat, might as well go all out and get the header and do it all in one shot! I will say that I love my new header and universal Cat!:laugh: I will snap a couple of pics this weekend and post them.

By the way, the header is stainless steel. What did you do with your EGR pipe?

Looks as though it's just hangin' out....chillin'. I still maintain my stance of welding a bung to the header and installing the EGR :p

to tell the difference between chrome and stainless, put a magnet on it. It will stick to the chromed pipe, not the stainless.

Why is your EGR just hanging there and not blocked off if it isn't hooked up to your exhaust? Needs MOAR mufflers....

I didnt have time to block it off yesterday. I did it after work and didnt get done putting it on until late. I'll get around to getting the EGR hookedup though, evenually. It hauls (for a Zetec) but you need ear plugs. I'll get a few videos up on youtube since i cant post them here. Look for them later tonight.

My SVT threw lean codes and ran like poo after I installed my headers. Turns out I had a massive intake gasket leak (I knew that it had been there for some time. It hadn't been giving me any issues except a little lower fuel economy, so I was just waiting for a day that I could tear it all apart). When I put the headers on, the freer-flowing exhaust allowed more air to come through the intake leak, and tripped the codes. I put new UIM and LIM gaskets on, cleaned the manifolds and fixed my secondaries so they ALL came on instead of just one side while I had it apart, and it runs like brand new. Good luck!

Some grades of stainless steel are magnetic

yeah.... but that is mostly stuff used for cutlery..... The more common types of stainless steel (cheaper too) are [SIZE=-1]austenitic[/SIZE]. The nickle content makes them non-magnetic.... But yeah, you are right, just saying, if his header is made of SS, it most likely would not be magnetic.

Back