• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Diagnostic Trouble Codes

FrankSVT

New CEG'er
Hello fellow CEG'ers I need your help again and I'm Sorry but here we go...I purchased a 98.5 CSVT w/rebulit engine 193k on body 45k on motor back in Oct. 09 and believe it or not the car has just started running in May of this year :nonono: for the most part i thought it Was the PATS Code which it was then it died on me again and would only start with a push from a friend and a clutch pop but i finally stopped being lazy and deceided since i spent $2500 :shocked: i might as well make it run like it should i have owned a '00 focus and i also own '04 stang gt and both have given problems so i knew what i was in for...anyways the main problem turn out to be the wire that runs from the alternator to the battery literally crumbled in my hands a perfect example of the word fried. but my friend fixed it by using my amplifier wire! Anyway I saved my money for plates and registration because here in Tucson, AZ you can only get the title in your name but u can't get it registered or plated till you run emissions now you see where this is going :rolleyes: So here I am waiting in my car at the emission testing booth simle on face excited that i got the 'tour running and it's being tested then the guys says you passed the equipment inspection :laugh: but you failed the emissions test :cry: you can imagine the fustration...I have already spent close to an extra $800 in fluids, parts, friends assisstance, and just random stuff and now your telling me I have to spend more!? :mad: the guy gave me my sheet and it says exactly this..." P0155 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 1) P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Decteced P1409 No Description Available P1151 No Description Availiable " I'm just geting to know this car guys and I do feel I have bought a lemon my dad wants this car and he is willing to give me $3000 for it but the catch is he wants me to drive it to indiana where he lives so I NEED to fix this car, I don't want to but, i might just have to I Have no idea specifically about those codes and they told me what P1409 and P1151 is kind of... "codes that show those other codes are bad" somehow i don't believe them should i invest another $500 in this thing or tow to Indiana since they don't run emissions up there and get some cash back...I like the Contour it has grown on me even though it's been mostly a pain but when it ran its best it kept up with my friends stock 350Z TRACK and its takes my mostly stock GT in 3rd so i know this car has potential but what should i do and if you can help me by disscusing my emissions trouble codes or my situation and how i can start fixing this car again i will greatly apprieate it! oh and by the way the check engine light is always on, when i drive the car like a grandma around the block for 20-30 min i can go through a quarter tank of gas and the aftermarket gauge for the fuel mixture is always bright blue which indiactes the hightest fuel rich setting
:help: "THERE'S NOTHING LIKE LOSING $3300...BUT FOR EVERYTHING ELSE THERE'S THE SVT CONTOUR" :help:

Jesus dude, your lack of proper formatting makes this difficult to read...

Anyways, this doesn't sound as bad as you might think.

P0155 means exactly what the code description says. There is a problem with the oxygen sensor heater circuit. Could be as simple as a burnt out heater element, in which case you just need a new 02 sensor. The heater is inside the sensor. This is the most likely scenario, especially if the sensor has never been replaced. But this can also be caused by broken/chaffed wiring for the sensor.

P1151 is also an 02 sensor code, also for Bank 2 Sensor 1. You have 2 codes pointing at the same sensor... This code means it's detecting a lean fuel mix on bank 2, usually caused by unmetered air entering the engine. In other words, you may have a vacuum leak. Also, this can be caused by wiring problems as well. This is also why your car is running rich. PCM is overcompensating for a lean mix.

P1409 and P0401 are directly related. P0401 means the PCM isn't detecting enough flow through the EGR valve. P1409 means there is a problem with the vacuum regulator solenoid that controls the EGR valve. If you fix P1409, you will most likely fix P0401 at the same time. This link: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/20fhs-how-do-you-diagnose-a-p1409-problem is for troubleshooting a Ranger, but the solenoid T/S steps will be the same.

I would recommend thoroughly checking the 02 sensor wiring first (check the plug too, make sure it's not corroded inside) and if you don't find anything, replace the questionable sensor. Troubleshoot & repair the EGR vacuum solenoid problem, then clear all codes and try again. If the P1151 comes back, it's near certain that you have a vacuum leak.

thank you David sorry for the discrepancy with the formatting i was up late last night after I was checking the car so I can take it to the emissions test center after the repairs, so please excuse my bad typing. But me and my friend are going to do everything you said so I can hopefully finish the contour and get it plated! thanks again

Back