• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L MAF question calling blackcoog???

chrisilversvt

CEG'er
i only mentioned blackcoog,since i was told he built the motor in my car...i bought it from icysvt last year....t-red with bad paint fade on the roof,and drivers door & fender......it originally came from ohio i believe....

anyways its a port matched 3l,the maf looks to be from a 3l car,its black plastic,and the electronics had a jy marking on it...

but to the point of the thread....the car is untuned,has a cai on it,stock exhaust except the mufflers...it runs great,and pulls hard all the way to redline....but when cruising it kind of surges a little,and almost feels like it wants to be in a lower gear or something....i was just wondering since the car was port matched and untuned if it could be the maf maybe...i didn't know if it might run better with a stock svt maf....or which type would be best for an untuned port matched 3L????

With your car being a early build date it should be a E0 which it should have a metal maf housing on it. Are u getting a cel? My 98 did the surge thing when I used my ac until I put a 3l in it.

my car is definitely an e0...i'm pretty sure the maf was changed out,but not sure when...it is plastic and looks like the one i pulled from a 3L at the jy....i haven't gotten a chance to test the jy one yet but plan to soon....i don't have a cel...only one i've ever had was for a misfire,but that was cured when i changed the plugs and wires.....i am just curious what is the best type of maf to run on a port matched 3L????

If its surging at low rpm's, try unplugging the EGR valve (Green vacuum line near the TB). This will cause a CEL though. If that doesn't help then it might need to be tuned. Probably needs a tune anyways....

the later model Tours came with a black plastic MAF housing as well... doesn't mean it was from a 3L.

only reason i think its from a 3L is because it does have a paint pencil marking from a jy on it...i know svt's are pretty scarce and 3l's are more common at the jy's....

it doesn't surge at low rpm's,only when cruising at a steady speed at 40+ mph or so.....and yes i'm thinking it needs to be tuned as well

It is a 2.5L MAF. All 2.5L and 2.5L SVT MAFs are the same. Surging is not usually related to MAF issues. It could be a faulty DPFE sensor. Try unplugging the DPFE and driving the car to see if the surging stops. Some swaps have had slight stumbles while in 5th gear going about 30mph that I was never able to determine the exact cause. Those that I could figure out were bad DFPE's.

Back