• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Extreme Dimensions / svt4stv Duraflex Splitter (Mirko)

Ooklah

CEG'er
Hey everyone! I wanted to do this last night but I ran out of daylight. So here are some pictures of the redesigned mirko splitter from the Extreme Dimensions group buy. This is one of the newer splitters, and NOT from the "blem batch."

(the blem batch review by nasty1 can be found here in the original GB post)

Picking up the splitter was pretty easy. The guys at ED seemed pretty cool, and were quick about helping me. They had me sign for the part, drive around back, sign for the part again (for inspection) and then I was off. Probably wasn't there more than 15 minutes, including the short wait. I didn't get a box since I picked it up, but the ends were still bubble wrapped, and it was in a plastic bag. No complaints on packaging!

On to the actual part! It is not flimsy at all, and it feels like it could bend quite a bit, but I still feel like it would break. I DO NOT think it would after seeing the photos that Steve has posted, it just feels that stiff, and I have no reason to test it on my own. -=P
However, it feels and even looks much more durable than my original fiberglass Mirko.

Onto the pictures!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

Honestly I thought it would fit a little more snug against the bumper, but I'm not quite sure how they would have gone about accomplishing that. As Savior said in his last post in the GB thread, these DO flex and can be pushed up against the bumper, and adhered with some 3M tape or some other means. Personally it isn't enough for me to even bother, but I know some of you will most likely want to have it hug the bumper closer.

Comparing the fog light cut outs to nasty1's images -- they've been improved, which makes the splitter look more symmetrical overall. That seems to be the biggest improvement between the blem batch and the new batch.

More photos below...

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

Overall I am very happy with this redesign. I busted up my original Mirko last halloween pulling into my driveway at the wrong angle, and I signed up for this group buy hoping to get a new one... and got one that is improved over the original.
It isn't perfect, but it IS being placed over the stock bumper. That blasted thing barely lines up with the rest of the car anyway. The fitment can be improved with some clever attachment, but it isn't something that will bother me enough to put that much work into (right now anyway, but it is impossible to keep my car clean more than a day without washing it everyday so a lot of things that may bug me about my cars I have to just let go).

I did try it on both of my cars, and the fit on both was identical. I took pictures on the silver frost because it is much easier to see the gaps and such.

I hope this helps some of you. Let me know if you want pictures from different angles, etc.

Your tires are mounted backwards.... atleast the drivers side front is...

Looks alright, but not having it snug against the bumper would bug me.

I feel like i have been in the dark.... Someone is making the mirkos again!?

As far as it not lining up looks like you car going to have to take the bumper off and play with it. I would try making a brace and expand the the bumper where necessary. Then bond it with 3M panel bond or equivalent.

Interesting. Well I'll wait for mine to get to my house and then I'll compare it directly with the Mirko splitter I already have. Definitely an improvement over the previous design with the wrap around, as we have said all along. However I'm not quite sure if they got the fog lights and sides quite right. It appears that they have a dip in the cut on the driver's side and then the cut on the passenger side is at an angle so that it falls short of the body line towards the back. Disappointing with the large gap as it wraps around the fog light and into the grill as that was suppose to be one of the things they were supposed to fix. However all that said some of this could be in the installation too.

It does look better... The wrap around is key.. I think a little Dremel work around the fogs might clean it up a bit.. it does look thinner which helps make it look more clean..

Looks like cheap crap imo..They did a horrible job on the lip it should extend outward at least another inch or two to line up with the bumper..

Chris... It may not extend out as far as you like but this spoiler was created using the mold that robert mirko made for his track cars and is an actual functional design....

Chris... It may not extend out as far as you like but this spoiler was created using the mold that robert mirko made for his track cars and is an actual functional design....

I'd say this is more for aesthetic purposes than aerodynamic purposes. To be more functional, the splitter should have an undertray that extends further back than where it is now.. much further. Or you could just buy a universal APR splitter and attach it to the Mirko :shrug:. Though, I don't own one so I can't attest to how functional it is, but to be more functional it would atleast need that. Sure you could go on and on about how the lip could extend further in the front and sides, you could add end fences blah blah blah.. but by then you're car would be pretty extreme and not used much on the streets.

To the OP, sell me your wheels please. I LOVE those ATS's.

I'd say this is more for aesthetic purposes than aerodynamic purposes. To be more functional, the splitter should have an undertray that extends further back than where it is now.. much further. Or you could just buy a universal APR splitter and attach it to the Mirko :shrug:. Though, I don't own one so I can't attest to how functional it is, but to be more functional it would atleast need that. Sure you could go on and on about how the lip could extend further in the front and sides, you could add end fences blah blah blah.. but by then you're car would be pretty extreme and not used much on the streets.

no..... it was a functional design that was used on the Mirko track cars. A skid plate probably would help quite a bit, that an an undertray for the whole body..... but one step at a time.

Looks like cheap crap imo..They did a horrible job on the lip it should extend outward at least another inch or two to line up with the bumper..

......... It was a functional design. [sarcasm]Granted, it doesn't look as good as an Alero[/sarcasm] but it did the job. Besides, that would look amazingly silly to have a splitter come out as far as the bumper.

Looks like cheap crap imo..

But enough about Aleros! Amiright?! (rimshot)

Lack of historical/situational awareness aside, it looks like they fell a bit shy of perfection. Still, having had an original Mirko, I can say that's a huge improvement over those. I think we have to wait and see how Mike's fits before we can give the thumbs up/down to this batch.

Why not do what Toyota does for the sideskirts on the 1st gen xB's?

Just get some rubber edging to make it look snug. I don't think any amount of tweaking to the mold is going to create a glove-like fit. To expect that is a bit far fetched.

Photo0220.jpg

royalblue said:
that's a whole lot a bug splats

Yes... yes it is. They were coming right at me - I had no choice!

95_Mystique said:
Your tires are mounted backwards.... atleast the drivers side front is...

Looks alright, but not having it snug against the bumper would bug me.

Wow. That's embarrassing! In my defense, I am kind of an idiot.

antec said:
I feel like i have been in the dark.... Someone is making the mirkos again!?

As far as it not lining up looks like you car going to have to take the bumper off and play with it. I would try making a brace and expand the the bumper where necessary. Then bond it with 3M panel bond or equivalent.

Yep. There was a group buy started at the beginning of the year.

CRG Racer24 said:
To the OP, sell me your wheels please. I LOVE those ATS's.
No! -=) I love these things even if I can't mount them properly. -=P

Chris... It may not extend out as far as you like but this spoiler was created using the mold that ALBERT Mirko made for his track cars and is an actual functional design....

fixed...

That looks pretty good, I like the wraparound. I have two original Mirko's, one is still NIB that was only out of the box for painting.

QFT. Again, a second opinion is coming - should help out a lot.

You bet it is... new splitter should be stopping by tomorrow. However I doubt I'll be home to sign for it so... I probably won't have it until Wed. So it should be on the car come Thurs/Fri.

Back