• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT pcm in SE

several years ago...like 5 now, i tried to make my pre98 a full svt, came up short with teh ecu, even with the harness swapped. cheaper to just listen to the people who have been doing this for years and get a custom tune to your stock ecu via a flip chip or xcal.

idk..it was from a 98. i dont remember the details now it was so long ago. i know we couldnt get around pats through tuning though.

I have been running a 98 svt pcm in my 98 se for about four months now and it was definitely a wise upgrade. I installed it along with the injectors, mass air, uim, lim, and exhaust off a wrecked 98 svt. Funny thing is i never got the pats programmed. It has only failed to crank once and i just let it set for a few minutes and it started right up.

I have been running a 98 svt pcm in my 98 se for about four months now and it was definitely a wise upgrade. I installed it along with the injectors, mass air, uim, lim, and exhaust off a wrecked 98 svt. Funny thing is i never got the pats programmed. It has only failed to crank once and i just let it set for a few minutes and it started right up.

thats because if its an early 98 then the PATs system is external to the PCM. the key will not need to be programmed. This has also been well documented before.

I installed an RJL1 in my 98 SE auto. experimenting today. car started right up, idled and reved just fine. no CELs , no broken smoke container. so I took it for a drive. Reverse worked fine. put it in drive and slowly let it creep forward. no problem yet. drove around the block. trans worked fine, got up to 35 mph the revs were normal for that speed. got brave and went about a mile up hill and back around. trans seemed to work fine. going up hill noticed there was no down shift. the OD off switch didnt work either. taking off hard it seems like its in 4th gear. reinstalled the original PCM and everything still worked fine so no harm from this. I will research what makes the trans lock up and try to defeat that. could just be a matter of unplugging something. A good pin out for each ECU would help but I haven't found one yet. The point of this is that if it works its cheaper than a custom tune and gives me something to do.

I installed an RJL1 in my 98 SE auto. experimenting today. car started right up, idled and reved just fine. no CELs , no broken smoke container. so I took it for a drive. Reverse worked fine. put it in drive and slowly let it creep forward. no problem yet. drove around the block. trans worked fine, got up to 35 mph the revs were normal for that speed. got brave and went about a mile up hill and back around. trans seemed to work fine. going up hill noticed there was no down shift. the OD off switch didnt work either. taking off hard it seems like its in 4th gear. reinstalled the original PCM and everything still worked fine so no harm from this. I will research what makes the trans lock up and try to defeat that. could just be a matter of unplugging something. A good pin out for each ECU would help but I haven't found one yet. The point of this is that if it works its cheaper than a custom tune and gives me something to do.

could try manually shifting it

right, so unless he shifts manually like i suggest

I've been told by a professional that manually shifting an automatic transaxle regularly is detrimental unless it's designed to do it - the cd4e is not. Even the overdrive override should be used sparingly.

I've been told by a professional that manually shifting an automatic transaxle regularly is detrimental unless it's designed to do it - the cd4e is not. Even the overdrive override should be used sparingly.

maybe thats true. but, starting in 4th cant be any better.

right, so unless he shifts manually like i suggest, hes always in 4th, right?

maybe or maybe not. the CD4E from my understanding is electronically controlled.

the SVT pcm can only be used in a V6, mtx contour for a swap. nothing new here.

My nephew got an early 98 V6 MTX tour and I installed an RJL1 computer and an SVT air filter assy this week, runs so much better. Been a year since my upgrade and the car still runs great.

Ok, so is the SVT ecu and SE ecu two different things entirely? I mean hardware other than connectors? I was wondering, if they are the same hardware inside, just different flash code, what's to stop someone with a good ability of programming from finding all the differences in an SVT ecu then matching them to the SE ecu? Also, a few other questions...

1. Say I swapped ecus, but not cams, would this throw everything off?
2. Would the SE require premium fuel after the ecu swap?

1. It will not throw everything off. just a more agressive tune.
2. premium fuel not required, but it will run a little better.

The ECUs are the same physical size and swaping them takes less than 10 minutes. cost less than 100 dollars to change ECU. custom tune is a bit more.

Ok, so is the SVT ecu and SE ecu two different things entirely? I mean hardware other than connectors? I was wondering, if they are the same hardware inside, just different flash code, what's to stop someone with a good ability of programming from finding all the differences in an SVT ecu then matching them to the SE ecu? Also, a few other questions...

1. Say I swapped ecus, but not cams, would this throw everything off?
2. Would the SE require premium fuel after the ecu swap?

all the PCMs are physically the same. The difference is the tune. As noted you can get a used pcm for ~$100, custom tuning would cost alot more. One needs to install the 19# injectors with he PCM to not get and CELs. You don't have to swap the cams but to get the most out of the SVT tune I would.

Again, dig back into past threads, this has been done for years now. There should be some good threads over on FCO about it as Dom was the first to try it as I recall.

I also ran a SVT PCM and injectors for awhile before adding SVT cams, ran just fine.

Back