• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX/ATX swap?

Wetworth

CEG'er
I know the question "can you make an ATX into a MTX" is quite common, but what about the other way around? I know that they made V6's with an auto, is it the same as the Zetec and can it be installed on an SVT?

And it would cost more than the car is worth

And it would cost more than the car is worth

While it can be done, you should ask yourself, should it be done.

It is alot of parts and work to swap. Quite likely much more money than your car is worth. Unless there is some unnatural attraction to this particular car, you'd be better off with a different car.

The MINI's a 6 speed (wish that bolted up to a Contour, I believe it's in the SVTF) and she can drive it, she just dosn't like to. She has an S-10 but we have a baby on the way. She says theres no way shes driving my car with a newborn in the winter.

The MINI's a 6 speed (wish that bolted up to a Contour, I believe it's in the SVTF) and she can drive it, she just dosn't like to. She has an S-10 but we have a baby on the way. She says theres no way shes driving my car with a newborn in the winter.

Get her a bus pass.

I've done this swap on a ZX2, it wasn't that bad, but I already had the dash out. You will have to swap the harness and I'm sure that means you'll be taking the dash out. Doesn't that sound like fun? The ZX2 is 100% easier to work on then the Contour is, so I would just sell it and get her one with an ATX in there already. Going to MTX from ATX is easier because you can splice wires since you are getting rid of sensors.

on the contour anyway there is nothign under the dash that needs to be changed.

also its much easier to get the correct engine wiring harness and pcm and just swap the parts over.

The ECU in an SVT has no provision to control an automatic transaxle. You would have to get a base Contour ECU to operate the automatic transaxle, and then have it tuned to operate the SVT engine...

Get her a bus pass.

Bahahaha, this post wins the thread...

but in other news, I wouldnt really think it's that hard. if you lived closer I'd say you can swap me your MTX parts for some ATX parts I'm probably about to wind up with. all you'll need is and ATX engine harness that bolts to the bulkhead connection, the correct axels, the subframe, an auto PCM, and the trans obviously...

there's a guy someplace with an ATX 3.0 SVT that terry built with upgraded clutches/bands/valvebody and torque converter to hold the 3.0's power. all in all though, I think most of fords FWD auto's from that era were junk... just my personal observation...

Back