• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how much fluid in SVT transmission?

macantley

New CEG'er
my SVT is getting its transmission fluid changed, im not sure how much fluid goes in it, and im not sure if i put ford "honey" in it, or if i use the sythetic ATF like the ford focus uses? it also uses the MTX-75

matthew

3 qts - fill to spill and plug the hole. Royal Purple Syncromax or Ford "honey".

ok, got the old fluid drained out, (probably 1.5 quarts or so of red atf)

but i cant find the fill hole, ive looked all over for it, i cant find it anywhere.

matthew

Front of the transmission case facing the radiator and is directly under the battery tray.

ok, got it changed, noise is already gone, i put 2 quarts in it, i hope thats all my transmission takes, not sure if mines the 2.1 quart or 2.7 quart model, i couldnt afford 3 quarts so i took a gamble, my car's a 98.5 SVT.

ive noticed that the car has alittle slop when i let off the throttle, like the engine or trans is rocking slightly forward or backward, is there a common engine or trans mount on the contours that go bad?

matthew

The rear roll restrictor is worn out. It is behind the transmission near the steering. You can buy urethane to fill it yourself otherwise you have to buy another one. Some on here fill them and sell them.

3 quarts. get another quart.

i guess ill get another quart when i get alittle more cash flow, evidently it worked on the 2 quarts of auto fluid that was in it, so the new honey that i put in should be good, it was $38 for two quarts (including taxes)

ill check out the roll resister next time im under the car.

ive put about 4,000 miles on the SVT since i purchased it at a salvage auction, its been a fantastic car to this point.

matthew

This isn't a choice to have enough fluid in the trans and you "will wait until you get more more cash flow" - get it and put it in now. :nonono:.

$20 is a lot cheaper than fixing the trans after it is effed up from not having enough fluid in it

as noted you need to fill the mtx until the fluid spills out the fill hole. you are potentially risking the mtx being low on fluid.

also as long as the mtx has never been changed it will take almost 3 qts since its a 98.5.

Back