• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

window tint stickers

information says no tint on the front window, except maybe above the AS1 line. side windows are limited to 35%. rear window can be anything as long as there are two exterior rear view mirrors.

it just bothers me the lady at DMV tried to make tinting car window illegal unless you have a medical reason. which by the dmvv web page and regs it is not.

I also don't like that fact the warning was issued for something that DMV doesn't require, the inspection sticker. however it is still written that way in the regs ......

well it turns out that the tint on the rear doors was below the legal limit. It measured ~26%. Luckly the front windows are on the line at 32%. So I had the rear door windows redone and they are now about 34%. So I should be set to go since there is a plate on the front of the car already.

So did you put holes in your bumper w/bracket, or did you use something like double sided tape to mount the plate?

So did you put holes in your bumper w/bracket, or did you use something like double sided tape to mount the plate?

I put two holes int he bumper. but they are on the bottom side and will not be visible. Still refuse to drill for the factory plate holder. but then again, leaving the plate in the front window is legal from what I read....

well incase anyone is wondering I have everything taken car of. I don't want to say like always, but the information I got from DMV at the information counter and on the phone was only half correct. The state still does issue the yellow certification stickers for tint. I now have one on each window. The part they where correct on was the form that shows the certification and percent tint. So the regulations that where online where infact correct.

what brings me to the other thing. I'm glad I checked but the shop I stopped at, their meter was way off. It read 5% darker. but it was also a different style meter. DMV had the two part tint meter and put it over the window. the show had the one peice style that slides over the window. But i was warned that the shops meter was old. However the front windows tested at 37% and the rear door windows at 40%. But then again I was told that by the tint show it read 32% and 35%. So I might have to get the front windows redone so it matches ......

so its up to you guys in CT. run without the sticker until you get a warning/ticket and have the inspection/certification done or just go get it done.

I don't find generally that my view on tint is the house favorite, because I think that some view it as an old fart type opinion, but here it is anyway. I shy away from tint because the cops don't like it. And if the cops don't like it, I don't see much reason for installing it, as I have no desire to do something like that that is going to get me pulled over. To each their own, as they say.

brian, are you saying you want to have the front windows redone to match the rear?
they are only a few percent different...

brian, are you saying you want to have the front windows redone to match the rear?
they are only a few percent different...

And that surprised you?

maybe .... I have to get use to the change as it is at this point in time. plus it is different tint, but its darn close. again its very different. the front windows at the tint show read 32% and the rear windows rear 26%. so going from 26% to 34% according to the tint shop is a big difference.

Last edited:
i think i am getting confused...
the fronts are 32% and the rears are 34% (according to the shop)
and 37% front and 40% rear at the DMV
either way..2-3% difference and you have a legal car now.

heck, my SVT was 20% front (14% measured) and 5% rear (2% measured)

Back