• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

window tint stickers

I believe that medical reasons for window tint get stickers. Everyone else just gets a piece of paper from a state licensed testing facility or from a DOT inspection station.

Even though you may have the proper paperwork to proove your window tints are legal, the police can still issue a ticket if they believe they are too dark even if you show them the paperwork. Your only way out is to plead not guilty on the ticket and send in a copy of your paperwork.

However, if you have a medical sticker there is no dispute as long as your sticker is legit.

Getting a medical sticker is the best way to legally get around problems at check points.

Last edited:
I believe that medical reasons for window tint get stickers. Everyone else just gets a piece of paper from a state licensed testing facility or from a DOT inspection station.

Even though you may have the proper paperwork to proove your window tints are legal, the police can still issue a ticket if they believe they are too dark even if you show them the paperwork. Your only way out is to plead not guilty on the ticket and send in a copy of your paperwork.

However, if you have a medical sticker there is no dispute as long as your sticker is legit.

Getting a medical sticker is the best way to legally get around problems at check points.

Wow, and I thought Massachusetts was bad. Way to go, CT.

you see that is what I was told on the phone yesterday when I called DMV. however reading the web page, at least to me it says the oposite.

Any vehicle with an after market tinted window must have a tint compliance sticker affixed to it by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Stickers may be affixed to vehicle windows which, when tested, have an allowable light transmittance of no less than 35 percent plus or minus three percent.

and

The validated form must be carried in the vehicle at all times; compliance stickers will not be affixed to windows in exempted vehicles.

all from
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=799&Q=245366

am i just reading this page wrong?

ive been through the check points about 10 times just this summer and i havent been bothered. mostly on hazard ave in enfield.

my windows are black and exhaust is very very loud and they dont say anything. just meet people that do inspections and have them pass it or get you stickers..

well exhaust and tint laws vary from state to state. it makes sense to me that they can not enforce CT tint and exhaust laws on cars from out of state. The first question I got was what state was the car registared in when the officer didn't see the front plate. When I said CT that was the green light for him to start on everything else.

I suggest you stop by the tint shop around the around the corner from my place. They might be able to help you figure it out.

Was this in Enfield? if so why am I not surprised.

I suggest you stop by the tint shop around the around the corner from my place. They might be able to help you figure it out.

Was this in Enfield? if so why am I not surprised.

whats the name of the place?

the check point was on 140 at the shopping centers just before the light to get to my house. although I think it was an Enfield cop, looks like it was a multi town effort. I found it odd I was following a manchester cop off the highway and he stopped there.

A few years back I got pulled over for tints on the pike. I got a warning requiring inspection at DMV. The DMV gave me stickers for my front windows (35%). I had to remove the rear pass windows' 20% tints either before or because of the inspection.

I don't know if the rules have changed since then, but stickers were given out for tints inspected and verified to be 35% +/- 3%

A few years back I got pulled over for tints on the pike. I got a warning requiring inspection at DMV. The DMV gave me stickers for my front windows (35%). I had to remove the rear pass windows' 20% tints either before or because of the inspection.

I don't know if the rules have changed since then, but stickers were given out for tints inspected and verified to be 35% +/- 3%

that is the way that I read the DMV website.

so it sounds like when I go in I will either get a letter that says the tint is legal or i will get a sticker. so all I have to do is get a front plate on the car, which will be easy, and i should be all set.

just go to the doc's complaining of headachs when you drive.. say you have a car with tints and 1 with out and you notice in the car with tinted windows you dont seem to get a headach as much while drive.. ask him if that sounds right and is there anything he can do...

this is what we were told to do when we got my car tinted in mass

just go to the doc's complaining of headachs when you drive.. say you have a car with tints and 1 with out and you notice in the car with tinted windows you dont seem to get a headach as much while drive.. ask him if that sounds right and is there anything he can do...

this is what we were told to do when we got my car tinted in mass

yeah, sorry, I'll stay on the honest side of things.

it sounds to me that the stickers they are referring to on the DMVs website are one sticker for each window and not a single sticker for all the windows.

I'm starting to think that the state is just making it difficult to get away with tinted windows. For what reason, I don't know.

Well Brian, The Enfield cops must be really slow because they stopped Danielle while she was driving my Mystique today. They gave her a warning ticket also.

Verbally he said
  1. no front plate
  2. tint is illegal
  3. expired emissions

On the actual warning ticket he only wrote one offense. 14-18a
which is no front plate.

Did you also get a pink slip? On the back it lists a few lines regarding the repairs made that need to be filled out. It also states it must be turned into the DMV (registry) within 20 days or the registration of the vehicle will be subject to suspension and a civil penalty of not less than $50.

Apparently it needs to be filled out by a licensed repair facility. Is this what you got?

yes I got the pink warning ticket, with dmv inspection only written on the bottom.

the front plate was 14-18(a). the tint was "no tint stickers 14-99g(g)

same notes on the back of the warning. putting a front plate on the car would make sense to just run it through a dmv inspection lane.

and wouldn't you know, I can't specifically find either of those regulations on the dmv web site. There is 14-18, which has been repealed and 14-99g sec 1-8

Last edited:
can someone tell me if i am reading this correctly?

Front side windows and front side wing vents of every vehicle shall have a measured light transmittance of not less than thirty-two percent (32%), as measured with a light transmittance meter having an accuracy of plus or minus three percent (3%) or better, when sunscreening material has been applied to such windows.

I read it as 32% plus/minus 3%. or is it really the minimum can be 32% with a meter that has a plus/minus 3% accuracy meaning the limit is 35%?

never mind, the link I posted below says 35% plus/minus 3% ...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think that when a car gets a warning or ticket that requires an inspection in CT the inspections are more involved than in MA because CT doesn't have regular car inspections like MA does.

so I was just over at DMV. I was again told that stickers are no longer required. One gets a letter stating that they are legal and the sticker goes on the letter. Otherwise a medical exemption needs to be applied for.

so now I'm just feeling screwed over, the officer never asked for proof on the tint. he just wrote the warning for not having the sticker .... which DMV says isn't put on the windows anymore ....

Back