• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The $10,000 Car Thread, 'Cause I Need It

His current car is 12-13 years old.
It's the same effect as your GF having that '79 in 1991-92.

No dispute here. I was just offering an example from our lives. My first car was a 1987 Ford Taurus MT-5 wagon. It was a hand me down from my Dad, who owned it since new. It became mine with 114,142.65 miles on the clock, and I ran it to some 181,900. It was a great car. I treated it very well, as I have all my cars, and it delivered in freezing cold, scorching hot, and everything in between.

At 17, I didn't need a newer car. I went back and forth to Montana in this one. In fact, I did 37,500 miles in the 9.5 months I owned the car prior to going to college. The old man said no car my first year. I brought it out for the Sophomore adventure. I was on track to do 51,000 miles that year.

But it's the same platform...buying one of the Elky-mobiles would be very logical because of previous experience with the platform. Hence why my next car will hopefully be a CSVT. :shrug:

Just don't do anything stupid, Matt.

But it's the same platform...buying one of the Elky-mobiles would be very logical because of previous experience with the platform. Hence why my next car will hopefully be a CSVT. :shrug:

Exactly the reason why Sandra is getting my 00 SVT. She needs a reliable replacement car and in the event something goes wrong with the car, I know enough to work on it myself. Plenty of access to parts and information when I need it.

Guys, I have suggested literally all of these cars you have mentioned (including the two T-Birds...), but they won't hear of it. The insurance for me with a Subaru of any kind except an ATX is absurd, my PARENTS say that Contours are too old for me to get now (I WANT ONE BAD!!!)

Also, the MLPS is nto an option for my parents. I wanted to fix it, but they want a car we can be sure will last me all the way through college. This will be the 5th car we've bought from Putnam Ford, so they're too scared of my parents to sell them a lemon:laugh:, j/k. My Dad can smell a lemon 10 miles away. We actually spotted on on Saturday... When we popped the hood, I noticed a small crimcle in the left shock tower... Turns out none of the boby panels in the front line up quite right, and the froont end was repainted....

I'd rather have a fast Focus than a slow Fusion..... Plus, all the people who have driven an ST say they're fun... Which they are!:crazy:

Oh, and a NECo is wayy to expensive to insure. I have to kick in on both the insurance and the car payment...

Oh, oh! One last thing... For Kim... :p

Oh, and a NECo is wayy to expensive to insure.

How much more than the Focus? or are you just assuming it costs more because it's a 2 door?
IIRC my Cougar has always cost less to insure than Mike's SVT.

although I guess it doesn't help that you're a male under the age of 25. haw haw!

A Subaru makes your insurance go WAY down, BTW. A 4/5-door Subie will be much cheaper to insure than a Focus. I'd bet my life on it. Not to mention you can find one for under 10k no prob :confused:

EDIT: Another thing...don't be afraid to try and prove your parents wrong. Parents always think they are right, trust me. If you KNOW (as many of us are telling you) that there are better-valued cars, don't be afraid to take the steps to show them. Parents aren't always "all-knowing."

EDIT: Another thing...don't be afraid to try and prove your parents wrong. Parents always think they are right, trust me. If you KNOW (as many of us are telling you) that there are better-valued cars, don't be afraid to take the steps to show them. Parents aren't always "all-knowing."

Mo'fuggin troof to that.

They steered me away from a MTX when picking the Cougar because I didn't know at the time and it would be "hard to learn".

A Subaru makes your insurance go WAY down, BTW. A 4/5-door Subie will be much cheaper to insure than a Focus. I'd bet my life on it. Not to mention you can find one for under 10k no prob :confused:...

This will give you money to spare to spend on women's clothing as you trundle around in your Outback! :laugh:

Ian - I'm not so sure the desirable Subarus in his price range are cheap to insure. I doubt the Forester, Outback or Baja are on the list, therefore we're looking at the Impreza or the Legacy. Insurance on a Legacy GT is cheap, but the '05+ are still ~$15K. Most likely he's been eyeing the bugeye WRX, and insurance on that car is indeed astronomical. Even the regular Impreza is expensive. :(

Granted, the insane hill he has to climb to get home every day, I have no idea why he's not considering AWD or 4WD lol!

100% agreed on the second half of the post.

I still believe you should fix the Contour ($25!) and think through this decision a little longer.

DUDE!!!! 'NewSVT' picked up a FSVT with like 43k on it for 10k!! Look around, you're going to be disapointed if you buy just a regular focus and find something for the same price that is actually worth it.:shrug: You can buy a new focus from last year for like 13k.

My parents aren't being stupid here, we're not paying anything in the sae ballpark as 13K, try 10,500 for a car with 26K miles; it's spotless, too.

My parents just went through all of this with my sister when they bought her Focus in January; they know this stuff. They have checked insurance with SVTs (they thought about a CSVT after I pled for one), Mustangs (probably for kicks:laugh:), all the Subarus under 10K (can't get a bugeye of any kind under 10K with 20-30K miles) including the Outback, which I DON'T want, Mazdas (Don't want a 626, can't find one with a 5-speed), everything...

BTW, Bull Hill isn't too bad in the winter if you don't drive it with your head up your ass. You saw the easy side, Matt:laugh:

Wannabe, I have to say you are a fortunate young man. It may not be exactly what you want but as the saying goes "you can't look a gift horse in the mouth". I'm glad for you that you are going to be getting a newer car that should last you for quite a while.

Congrats!

Wannabe, I have to say you are a fortunate young man. It may not be exactly what you want but as the saying goes "you can't look a gift horse in the mouth". I'm glad for you that you are going to be getting a newer car that should last you for quite a while.

Congrats!

He is indeed fortunate. I think he should bust open the negotiations and tell his folks he wants a Lincoln MKS. :laugh:

Starships don't need keys. :cool:

2009-lincoln-mks-4.jpg

Congrats!
Trust me when I tell you, I could not be more excited!:crazy: I appreciate this so much from my parents.. I almost feel guilty!

But let me tell you, I did not get this car for nothing. I have worked my BUTT off for this car, and I'm sure I will continue to do so!

Thanks for the kind words!
He is indeed fortunate. I think he should bust open the negotiations and tell his folks he wants a Lincoln MKS. :laugh:

Starships don't need keys. :cool:

2009-lincoln-mks-4.jpg

You're damn right they don't!:drool::drool::drool:

I refuse to drive a car where I do not need to use a key to start it... Maybe I will be walking for the rest of my life, but I do not care... The car is hawt though :cool:

I, too, do not understand the point of pushbutton ignition, and vastly prefer a key. However, I think the starship tagline is a winner, and creates excitment about the car. I think the car's a winner, too. :cool:

Back